Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gnarly fretbuzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm getting some really bad fretbuzz on certain frets. I'm thinking it may be because some of the frets are higher than the others. I already raised the action as far as I want to, and it still persists buzzing. Mostly on the E string, but some on the D as well.

I have a cheap Peavey Millennium, so it's to be expected, however.

What do you suggest? Sanding the frets? If so, how do I find the ones that are higher than the rest?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have you adjusted the truss rod? Also, how high is your action? You can measure from fret to bottom of string at the 17th fret. I have some pretty bad basses, but I can get a medium action on all of them (which is all I need).

3. Where exactly does the buzzing occur? Around what frets?

4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    How do I tell if I need to adjust the Truss Rod? I don't want to just start messing with it and end up screwing my neck up.

I'll measure the action when I get home. The buzz is just really bad. It's pretty much concentrated on the E string. I'm sure the strings are crap, too. I just don't have $35 to throw around for strings at the moment.