Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gnarly hurricane and my mom

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    So, my mom lives in Cozumel, she's been there for about 4 years now. That crazy hurricane is going right over the Yucatan peninsula sometime tomorrow and they're expecting 150mph winds. She said it's already pouring and the phones will go out soon. She boarded up her windows yesterday. Last year they got just a little bit of a big one and it flooded the whole island pretty badly - this one looks like a direct hit. Mi poor mama! I'm sending good thoughts and hoping everybody stays safe through Emily.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I hope they all do alright! Hurricanes are scary. Here in the Midwest, we have to worry about tornadoes. They are smaller, but a little more unpredictable, and a lot faster. All in all, scary stuff.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I hope it all works out well for your mom Jason. Keep us updated!

Maybe we'll need to organize a "Hurricane Relief Fund For Parents of TB Members". I hope we don't have to though.

-Mike

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Thanks guys. I actually just talked to her on her friends cell phone - she left her house. She said she only had enough wood to save her stained glass windows. It's pretty much just starting to hit. They'll probobaly be 'stuck' for the next 10 hours or so. The eye is bigger than the whole island. They're arresting people for going out in the street, that's wild. I guess some people just cill out with lots of beer and their generators ('Nawlins style) and hope for the best. The harbor is all messed up. They're flying people out of Cancun - she was laughing, saying that that's all they'd probably say on the news. She's really scared, this sucks. Nature is a powerful beast. Hopefully she can get through this and just come back to a house that's in shambles. She said wait until you get yours, hehe. We had a window broken last year from a bad storm but it was not even close to this.

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Well, it looks like the eye went right over the island. Hopefully everybody is OK. I'm sure it will take them a while to get back to normal. Kinda in the dark now, I'm just waiting for her to call (will probably be days or even weeks before phones are working again). Good luck to those still in it's path...

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dude, having been through many hurricanes, I hope your mother is safe. They are not entities to be trifled with.

:meh:

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have never spoken to Gard, or met him, but I would never imagine him saying something like that. :)

-Mike

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Mike, ever been through a hurricane?

If you had, you'd understand...

;)

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I rode out a hurricane on an Aircraft Carrier.

88,000 tons of metal before the weight of planes, crew, fuel and who knows what else...and we were still bouncing like a surfboard. :eek:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No sir, but I have gone a couple days without a mocha from Starbucks. :)

I spent my entire life in Pennsylvania and Washington. Nothing close to hurricanes anywhere around them parts. I've been through some bad wind and rainstorms, but I know they pale in comparison to an actual hurricane. I just thought it was funny to see you use the word "trifle". I usually see you talking about bass gear, baseball, and beer. :D

-Mike

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...that's close...now, multiply that feeling by oh....a couple million orders of magnitude....

;)

Hey! :mad: I own a dictionary...and know how to look up...uh...the meanings of big words...yeah...that's it...

Dude...take a blizzard, feed it cocaine, steriods, and some speed....and well...you're still not even in the ballpark, much less the game...

....imagine a tornado, but hundreds of miles across....that's kinda close...they're scary....but exhilirating in a way as well...

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Dude, I pray she stays safe, be sure and tell her Steve from Mi. says no surfing during Hurricanes!

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I did until I found merriamwebster.com. I wasn't trying to cap on ya Gard. It just seemed funny. I don't dowt your intelligence wun bit. :D

-Mike

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Oh, I knew that, I was just playin' along...

...but back to the main thing: I hope Muzique's mom is safe!

15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I finally heard from her lastnight. She lost a couple windows and the house was flooded but at least she was safe. :)
    thanks for the kind thoughts

16. Glad to know that your Mom is fine. I haven't heard from my kids in Tulum since the day before it hit. The Mexican news websites just mention some physical damage, so I assume they are busy cleaning up and communications is still down. We are supposed to visit for Labor Day weekend, so hopefully there is still a roof.

17. My aunt has lived in Florida for many years and I know what it's like to worry for someone in a hurricane. Once I had to leave her house earlier than planned because of Hurricane Bertha (which I understand was fairly tame). I was floored at how violent the storms were and this was at least three or four days before the storm hit land. In fact, on the island she lives on there are many statues carved from downed trees destroyed by Hurricane Andrew. I guess it's just a fact of life when you live there. This year seems especially bad. :(