GnL SB2 is too aggressive for slow songs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GGG, Jul 23, 2004.

1. GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    hey I found that SB2 is a good choice as a PJ bass, but if i get a alder/rosewood one, will work as a 60's-ish P bass? and I really
    worry bout the lack of Tone control. or I can change it on the eq by roll off a bit treble? anyone ve got one? post your pic pls!
  2. While some basses have a more aggresive sound than others, you can use just about any bass for a slow song. Just play over the end of the fingerboard with a light touch and roll off the treble. You can also use your thumb for a more muted sound.

What do you mean by lack of tone control?

3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The SB-2s are Vol/Vol. There's no tone, just a volume for each pickup (it's P/J bass).

I wouldn't worry about it. Adjust your technique as Mike suggests, and you're good to go.
  4. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    +1 I played an SB-2 in a band that ran the gamut from 80s new wave to ballads and the SB-2 worked great for all of the songs. The lack of a tone pot does give the SB-2 a hotter output (louder than some active basses) which is aggressive, yet I was able to get a more subtle mellow tone by adjusting playing position and amp EQ. I'm starting to miss that bass... :bawl:
  5. AHA! I didn't know it doesn't have a tone pot. :cool:

Thanks, Brendan & Kazuhank. ;)

6. GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    any pic???
  7. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    heres a few pictures of my '97 sb-2 that i aquired in a trade a few weeks ago.

yes, there is some ghosting around the bridge, but thats why they discontinued the swirl finish. i am really happy with this bass. i can use it for slower song with no problem. just play closer to the fretboard. usually i play between the two pickups and i move my hand up (toward the neck) about an inch or two for a softer tone. a tone control isnt needed. i set my eq on my amp flat so you can here the beauty of this beast.