Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GnL SB2 is too aggressive for slow songs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GGG, Jul 23, 2004.

1. GGG

GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    hey I found that SB2 is a good choice as a PJ bass, but if i get a alder/rosewood one, will work as a 60's-ish P bass? and I really
    worry bout the lack of Tone control. or I can change it on the eq by roll off a bit treble? anyone ve got one? post your pic pls!

2. While some basses have a more aggresive sound than others, you can use just about any bass for a slow song. Just play over the end of the fingerboard with a light touch and roll off the treble. You can also use your thumb for a more muted sound.

What do you mean by lack of tone control?

Mike

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The SB-2s are Vol/Vol. There's no tone, just a volume for each pickup (it's P/J bass).

I wouldn't worry about it. Adjust your technique as Mike suggests, and you're good to go.

4. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    +1 I played an SB-2 in a band that ran the gamut from 80s new wave to ballads and the SB-2 worked great for all of the songs. The lack of a tone pot does give the SB-2 a hotter output (louder than some active basses) which is aggressive, yet I was able to get a more subtle mellow tone by adjusting playing position and amp EQ. I'm starting to miss that bass... :bawl:

5. AHA! I didn't know it doesn't have a tone pot. :cool:

Thanks, Brendan & Kazuhank. ;)

Mike

6. GGG

GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    any pic???

7. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    heres a few pictures of my '97 sb-2 that i aquired in a trade a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yes, there is some ghosting around the bridge, but thats why they discontinued the swirl finish. i am really happy with this bass. i can use it for slower song with no problem. just play closer to the fretboard. usually i play between the two pickups and i move my hand up (toward the neck) about an inch or two for a softer tone. a tone control isnt needed. i set my eq on my amp flat so you can here the beauty of this beast.