Go and buy this album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Toasted, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

because, it's too godo to explain in words. I'd have to do some sort of complicated dance to show you how good it is.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That cover and title would definitely put me off and tell me to "avoid at all costs!!! :meh:
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    dont make me do the dance, bruce
  4. I've been thinking of getting that one since it came out. I'm a bit slow, you see.
    Do you like The (International) Noise Conspiracy - featuring Dennis Lyxzén as one of its members - as well?
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Awesome, excellent CD! I highly second this. :bassist:
  6. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I like, I like.
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Note to self: pick that up.
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    This is the review from allmusic.com:

"Many who listen to this album will say "Hey, this isn't punk" after not finding the power chords and 1-4-5 structures that they associate with poppy skate rock bands like NOFX and Lagwagon, but this is what revolution is all about. Taking a industry of specifications and expectations and turning it fully on its head, yet holding on to some semblance of what once was. Refused are pure innovation and passion spouting Nation of Ulysses-esque doctrine while fusing together the bite and flavor of fist-raised, Dillinger Escape Plan-style hardcore with ambient textures, jazz breakdowns, and other such deviations. Choppy, beautiful movements, choked thoughts, and feelings of elevation. This is what punk is all about friends, although to the common ear it may not sound like it — and that is precisely one of the reasons why it is so potent."

I have never listen to any punk (nor do I really want to) - but I am intrigued by this so I might give it a spin.
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    They have joined the very small amount of punk that I enjoy.

I really like, thanks for the recommendation. I never would have bought a cd by somebody like that.
  10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have to say that I think I'm one of the few who find this thier least favorite Refused album. It's still awesome, but "Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent" just blew me away!
  11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I got "this album contains old songs and old pictures" yesterday, and its not actually stopped spinning yet.

Another good one. Ill have to see if it stays around aslong as TSOPTC :)
  12. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I've had this album (The Shape) for a good while actually, and it didn't grab me when I first listened to it, so I shelved it. I'm gonna give it another shot. I tend to not pay very much attention to a disc when I first get it. If I'm not paying attention to it and something jumps out at me, I know it's a keeper. But I've initially overlooked a lot of really great albums because I've not given them proper listenings.
  13. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    LoL I remember first listening to this and skipping the first song after hearing him scream the word "society". Punk bands should just stop using that word... it's probably the single most cliche thing in the entire universe. :)

Other than that, the music so far is great.
  14. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Don't let the "P" word keep you from checking this stuff out. I think the music rocks my ass, but I still can't get past his vocals. That extremely shrill style of "singing" has never done much for me. You be the judge, I appreciate the originality thats for sure. Though it seems it really was'nt the shape of punk to come, "Emo/core/post/" (whatever the hell) took over the tiny-bopper scene.
  15. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yeah, I hear this is highly recommended.

I don't really listen to punk all that often, but I do listen to a fair amount of international noise conspiracy.
  16. That record is genius!

I wouldn't really call it punk either, rather "swedish hardcore" or something like that. It also contains quite a lot of other kinds of music stuck in there to, some swing parts with double bass, electronic parts, pop-rock, trance(!?) and so on and none of the braindead riffs I normally associate with punk. A great album!