Go direct

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Emperor !!!, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Emperor !!!

Emperor !!!

Mar 17, 2005
    what would be the best, record my bass through DI box or through the DI output of my amp/combo(60W), style : 100% Rock
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've only been the studio twice and each time the engineer used a DI. He said the DI's built into most amps are noisy. Not sure if that's true, but that's what he said so I went with it.
  3. Emperor !!!

Emperor !!!

Mar 17, 2005
    what DI did he use?

whirlwind, behringer, roland, etc..
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Don't remember. It was a few years ago
  5. Emperor !!!

Emperor !!!

Mar 17, 2005
    Does anyone have other thoughts/comments?
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    What I do in the studio is nearly what a guitarist does. I use 2, sometimes 3 tracks for bass. A couple days ago I did one track direct (using a J48 DI in the chain) and one track with a Blue Mouse (mic) on my cab, down the hall in another room (isolation booth). The head was in the control room with me, the tech and the gtrist.

*Sometimes I would augment that with a PZM against the far wall for room... and then having those three tracks, it gives me the choice of the different tone variables... or blend of them.

Attached Files:

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Totally depends on what type of recording you are planning to do and where you are going to do it. I do a fair amount of recording and in most cases the engineer wants a direct in, bypassing any amps. The studio has always provided the connections/box. There have been ocassions where I have gone thru an amp head ... this is usually in a smaller, much less formal studio.

If you are just fooling around at home you might want to check in at the Recording Gear & Equipment Forum ... a lot of those cats will be much better equipped to answer your question. My experience is all in a studio setting, and mostly the same four studios over and over again ........
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've always recorded with three tracks as well... bass into a Countryman model 85 to the board, then through that I plug into my effects, then the GK DI out goes to the board. I also mic one of my 10's.

But engineers like to see P-basses. If that's what your question really is.
  9. In the studio I have always gone through their direct box into the board. The next time, I am thinking about having them isolate and mic up my Bassman 50 / 1 X 15" JBL rig in addition to the direct.
  10. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    It really depends on what your recording into and the quality of your amp/built-in d.i.

The studio freaks that don't like using built-in-di's are usually all people who learned from older generations of engineers or a school who sticks to "teaching traditional means of recording" (the anti-digital freaks). Way back in the day built-in's really su***d, but the one's that are made today in amp's like Ampeg, SWR, Carvin, Eden and some higher line Peavey's are just as good as an external DI. They just will not believe it because it's not what was in a text book that was written in 1975.

I would suggest (as others in this thread have) doing two or more bass tracks. Go DI with one and use a high quality mic. on the other. Just watch the levels and EQ's. That is.. IF it's in a studio.
    The only real reason anymore to mic an amp or use built-in DI's is if your bass/amp combo has a very distinctive sound you are going for. If you go DI and need that amp's sound read up and make sure that the DI is pulling the post-EQ signal.

If you are recording at home.. you may want to consider pluging your bass straight into the board. If you have active p.up's make sure the baord can handle at least a +4db signal. Most of them made now do though, but still... nothing worse than blowing a channel on your board.

If you are recording on your computer get yourself an M-Audio sound card and plug straight into that. The software can process the sound all you want as long as it's a good program with decent plug-ins.
  11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Actually The preamp I use on my rig has a very good DI... for live gigs.
    The DI that I use in the studio is cleaner (no noise at all), so that is the direct signal that I send to the board. I personally don't have the full confidence in recording off of my V-type's DI, there is a bunch of noise that is tolerable only in a live setting.
  12. Emperor !!!

Emperor !!!

Mar 17, 2005
    Thank you all!!

I think I'll be going through a DI box, BTW, I'm home recording.

Think one of the Behringer's box could do the job? quiet enough?
  13. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Less gear in the chain = less noise, unless you want a specific effect from that amp, try to avoid it.