Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Go for a G&L bass? Fender? Run screaming?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I'm comparing my options for a fretless bass, and one of the basses I'm considering is the G&L L-2000.

Has anyone played one, fretted or fretless? How does it compare to the JB-2 or the Fender equivalents of each bass? Blah blah blah?

Seeing as I can go for a MIM Jazz for about half the price, I'd like to know if I'm getting a nice bass or not. :)

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I own a fretted L2000 and have played a fretless L1500, both from G&L. i can say that i am a big supporter of G&L. i see that they are powerful, great sounding, very versatile basses that to my ears are better than every Fender and Musicman.

3. And the GAS grows....

Other people's opinions are great excuses to buy stuff, don't you think?

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I like the L2000 a lot, also. I will add that if you can find a used one, you can avoid the main negative of buying a G&L, which is the lack of resale value should you decide that you don't like it. A nice L2000 in the usual used range of $500-$650 is quite a bargain in terms of bang-for-de-buck, and it can usually be resold for without taking a loss.

5. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I have an L2000 fretless. I've had to modify it a bit, like change the nut about 3 times (I kinda killed the first few with heavy flatwounds:( ). I also added another 9-volt battery to the control cavity to reduce the preamp clipping that some G&L's get when they're cranked. Otherwise it can't be beat for the price, even a higher price arguably. The fingerboard has some ridges in it, but they don't really cause ay significant buzzing - also to get the best fretless growl it's better to use individual pickups rather than both together. Oh, and mine's HEAVY!! Hope that helps

6. My chances of finding a fretless L-2000 here are negligible. I might get lucky and find a second hand Fender or something, but otherwise I'm stuck with ordering something in.

Three month waiting time, at a minimum. :(

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You might be able to find a seller on eBay that's willing to ship overseas (if a USA seller).

I'd definitly go with an L-2000.

8. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I purchased a 2nd-hand (fretted) G&L 2000 from Bass Central a month or so back and had it shipped to Adelaide - like you, I couldn't find one at all locally. Taking into account shipping and GST (yeah, you gotta pay GST even on a 2nd-hand bass!) it ended up being about AUS$2k. Maybe I got lucky, but it is one sweet bass.

If you want more details you can PM or email me.

MikeB

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd run screaming...but that's just me.