1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Go for the Gold!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaddAnthony_59, Apr 18, 2010.

1. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    While I was modding one of my FrankenBasses, my Wife asked why I didn't have a Fender with Gold hardware. So to Appease her I added a Gold Anodized Pick Gaurd to my '57 FrankenClone. That just got her Hungry for More! So, I am in the process of "Blinging-Out" my Prized MIA 1995 Fendowsky P-Bass. I've added a Gold Original BAD ASS Bridge, a '57 ReIssue PickGaurd, Gold Tuners from a Newer Fender Bass (Messy install! Mounting Pins are reversed after 2007!), and Gold StrapLocks.

Here's a Before Pic:

DSC00142.

Here's some In-Progress Pics:

Full Frontal
    DSC00101.

I'm debating whether to find some Gold AshTrays & Pup Cover. Also one of the PG holes doesn't have any "Meat" to bite into.
    But the Sadowsky Pup & Preamp look Good in Gold. (Yep, VTC included:smug:)
    DSC00102.

DSC00103.

Okay, this is OBVIOUSLY not a '95 MIA P-Bass neck. Remember those Tuners? Well, I didn't feel like drilling a New set of Holes in that neck right off the bat! So I grabed my Mule Neck, which is drilled for 4 or 5 different tuners already, and made myself a Template, and loaded them into this neck for now...We'll go more into that in a bit.
    DSC00104.

Here's the Rear.
    DSC00105.

If I keep this look I'll need to add a Gold NeckPlate.
    DSC00106.

And here's the Bussiness End of the Mule's HeadStock. It's been drilled more times than Pam Anderson. And when I fianlly go too far with this, I've more than gotten my $35 worth outta this Beast! Plus I like those 1 3/4" Nuts. Kinda like a Poor Mans Fullerton!
    DSC00107.

But here's what I came up with to drill out the required holes for the 2007+ mounting pins. I slipped this betwen the tuner & the rear of the headstock, and loosley tightened the bushing. Then I rotated the tuner, lined up the template to be Square, and used a Sharpie to show where I needed to drill.
    DSC00108.

I'm still on the fence about this Look, and especially about drilling out the neck. It will have Exposed mounting holes with either vintage of tuners. I dunno. But what do Y'all think? It's Golden! And my Wife Digs it!

2. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    Hey, That looks pretty sharp.

I went through the same type of gold rush once I bought a Fender Lyte Deluxe. Added gold knobs from e-bay.

and I've tried two set of gold colored strings.

Rounds from Strings by Aurora.
    http://stringsbyaurora.com/

Flats from Optima. Made from actual gold.
    Found these on e-bay. Very $$ but really completed the look.

[​IMG]

3. Hmm I would have gone tort guard with gold knobs and gold bridge and pickup covers
    Still it looks pretty freaking nice!!!

Hmmm as far as the holes are concerned
    why dont you use the tried and true toothpick trick for the pickguard holes?
    I have done this in the past for mounting Fender pickguards onto Squier bodies
    and for the headstock why not plug those holes with some small dowels and ReRanch it Oly white?
    then you got no holes and a matching headstock to boot

4. Get shiny brass screws for the pickguard.

5. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    Brass nut to top it off. I dig it. I'd never get it through the front door of my house though, my wife hates gold anything.

6. MaddAnthony_59

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    Not ruling that out! I need to get a set of Gold KNobs at a minimum.

The hole isn't Striped, there's nothing to drill into because the cavity starts Right where the PG screw hole starts. I need to get Gold Screws, and might just glue a Screw Head in place there. The other 9 holes lined up just about Perfect though.

Are you suggesting to paint the Back of the Headstock as well? The Whole Neck? Interesting either way. I've also seen a thread where some clever customizer matched up the Wood FIller with the color of the headstocks wood. You have to get Very Close to see the discoloration. We'll see. I can't find a 2007+ MIA P-Neck for <$500 either...

Good Comments!

7. MaddAnthony_59

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    Hmmm! Good idea. Do they make them in Brass for this type of Nut? Gold XMAS Tree Ornament Paint might be a Cheezy Solution!:bag: