1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Go hard or go home!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jimmyjames, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Mar 30, 2011
    Queens
    Ok, so I've been playing bass for about 8 years and I am not as good as I should be for the amount of time I've put into it

And it's my fault.

So I'm about to put together a rigorous schedule and plan that will help me to really boost up the chops...

But I feel I should base it around a well thought out....for a lack of a better word... Schematic.

What has worked well for you guys? As far as discipline and workflow?

2. jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Mar 30, 2011
    Queens
    I feel as I though this should have gone in "techniques". Sorry

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Get a good teacher versed in jazz to do it for you. You've reached this point because you don't know what to teach yourself next. A teacher does, especially a jazz teacher. Learning the basics of music the jazz way is the quickest and most direct way of improving. Even if you can only afford a few lessons just to get you started, it's worth it.

4. jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Mar 30, 2011
    Queens
    Well, I can't get A teacher, I'm unemployed and what little money I get goes towards school payments.

But I do know what I need to learn, what my issue is is discipline, I don't know how to write a plan of action for my self

5. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Here is Lynn Seaton's response to a similar question;
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here is a routine you can do. Pick a standard. Analyze the chord changes for scale relationships and make a list of those scales. Make sure to take the melody notes into account to help make your scale choices more accurate. Now practice in two parts. With a metronome, play the scales and the related arpeggios in at least two octaves up and down. Work your way up the increasingly faster rhythmic subdivisions as you go: 1/4 notes, 1/4 note triplets, 1/8 notes, 1/8 note triplets, 1/16 notes etc. while keeping the metronome constant. Start at a slower tempo and you can get through more subdivisions. Now work up a routine with a metronome where you play the melody, walk, solo, and play the scales and arpeggios in harmonic rhythm in 1/8 notes. If the tune has a classic intro or ending, include that or improvise one. Depending on how long each chord lasts, you would only play part of a scale or arpeggio. If the chord lasts 4 beats you could arpeggiate 1.3.5.7.9.7.5.3 and then move to the next chord. The idea is to do the whole thing completely without stopping. The goal is to be able to do this at the tempo the tune is played, but usually we have to start slower and work our way up.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    find 3 similar posts by searching the phrase "here is a routine" in the ask Lynn Seaton Forum.

The good news is, there is an enormous amount of info in the TB Artist Forums. The bad news is you will have to read a lot of unrelated material to find it. The worse news is, you will have to read forums that talk about music that may not interest you. That means, there are no shortcuts. Good hunting. :cool:

Good luck

6. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    My 2c worth.

If your interest in playing and learning is strong enough, then you will put aside a given amount of time each day for practice. If practice is considered a chore ( you use the word "work"flow) then it's not going to yield the results that it might. A rigorous schedule is all well and good, but if you don't try to inject some FUN into your practice, then that is all it will be to you i.e. a rigorous schedule. Remember, you are supposed to be playing music, and that's meant to be fun. :)

7. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    I agree with the above poster.

It's important to have an idea of where you want to get to.

But if you make a routine that is too formulated and mathematical - 5 mins of this, 2 mins of that, etc, then unless you have a rare type of personality that can enjoy that sort of thing, your enthusiasm for practice will peter out.

I watched this video by guthrie govan recently. I like guthrie because he's a shredder but his stuff is actually interesting, it doesn't sound like a load of maths.

Guthrie Govan - Learning The Guitar - Session 3 Licklibrary - YouTube
    Guthrie Govan - Fast Arpeggios - Session 8 Licklibrary - YouTube

I'd say if you're losing enthusiasm for practice, then maybe look at the sort of area of music you want to be really proficient in and find bits you really like the sound of. Then work from that towards exercises etc.

For example, I've been working on diatonic chords on guitar (this isn't bass but my point is related), so I found a tune called 'youneedanotherlover' or something by Prince, and it's great because it's a sequence of diatonic chords going from chord vi, vii half dim, Imaj6, ii, V7, IVmaj7. I like the tune, so I can use it to practice these chords on different parts of the fretboard and it's fun rather than just being an exercise.

Like guthrie says, try starting with sounds that inspire you and figure out ways of covering bases by extending those sounds in a comprehensive way.

8. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    Set goals for yourself. One or two things here and there and keep adding to it. Write your goals down! Then get emotionally involved with these goals and I'll tell you you'll have a much easier time accomplishing what you set out to achieve.

9. jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Mar 30, 2011
    Queens
    All good stuff here guys, thanks..

I used the word "workflow" and it may have had the wrong connotation, but it still fits...

Playing and instrument is like riding a bike...

Being able to stay upright is a scary thought but once you put ur mind to it you can do it, and after a while you will start zooming down the busy streets like its second nature...

I think I just about have a good enough list to start with in Garda to what I need to get down. Once I get it down I'll post it encase ores want to check it out too.

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Just a quick question, what have you done in the last five years or so in respects of learning and practice?

Quite a lot of players I see, certainly do put the time in and practice, but what they practice is what they already know, rather than learn new ideas and move their playing on, they just ingrain what they already know. That's why a teacher should bring results, because they give you new ideas to work on that you would not have thought of, so you learn to work on new things rather than just ingrain to the point of boredom ( and ultimately to a point of feeling lost, doubt, despair, and then slump) which will either see you give up or seek out advice. So the question again, is what have you been doing for the last five years to lead you to seek out advice?