Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Go on or quit ??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by j3b3r, Sep 2, 2000.

1. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I've been playing bass for 8 years.

But I never think and hear that I play good.

Is that normal or not ??

Once I was thinking that my gear wasn't good enough, but after I get a better one, I'm still thinking that way.

Any suggestion ??

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Every time that I feel that way....my wife asks me..."well, do YOU enjoy playing? WHO are you playing for???"......
    I'm STILL playing....:D

3. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

ditto

btw, don't take what other say of your bass playin as law, because most people lie (for one reason or the other)

4. I have had a weird variety of gear. On acoustic guitar, I have really regressed gearwise. I have had a Martin and a Guild in the past couple of years. Now I use a Sigma DM18, and it is NOWHERE as good as the acoustics I have sold (financial need, not becaýuse I wanted to!). But I play and sound better on it that I did on the great guitars simply because I know better now why I am playing it and what I want to play.

Same with bass gear. There is a certain lower limit of quality I can take (I am fussier about bass than acoustic) which for me is benchmarked by Fender MIA standards, but I believe that if I can't play and sound good on my P bass, the fault is not with the bass. My Rob Allen MB2 is an even better quality bass than the P, but I sound worse on it...personality clashes with the piezo..

Do you play in a band? Does that band groove? That's a very crucial factor...

5. and it wasn't a pleasant feeling to look around and see younger less experienced players stomping in my backyard better than me. It caused me to quit for nearly 20 years. That was the mistake. If I had kept up with the playing, and sought help for my weaknesses (as I saw them) I would now be playing at a level only few attain. Instead, when I decided to pick it back up, I was at the level of a 6 year player instead of a 25 year musician. I missed a lot in my absence.

Everybody hits plateaus in their ability. You are probably at one now. Seek out instruction, either through a teacher or through the web and books and get the problem solved. It could take time, but it might not. Only you or a qualified instructor can make the call. And, it probably isn't as bad as you think. My situation wasn't.

At any rate - Good luck!

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Im a bit Ciclical, that means that I do stuff for short periods of time. Thankfully Im a fast learner and tend to be good on what I do. But let me explain my point.
    I have played bass for about 5 years now. But there have been seasons that I didnt play a single note.
    Last time, I sold my bass, I was retiring completely, but saw how much I've evolved since I started and also noticed HOW MUCH I GOT WORSE in the time I didnt play at all.
    You loose practice, technice, and ability.
    Then, I was very confused, and decided to buy a Six String bass. Sometimes you need new things to achieve to become better. (A friend gave me a six string for some time and I loved it but I only had a 4 string. So my "ganas" to play diminished and I stoped playing)
    Well, now Im just sorrow about stoping playing in those perios of time. (About 6 months every 2 years or less)
    BTW, I play progressive/neoclassical metal. So practicing is a must.

My recomendation: DONT QUIT!!! Find something new to do..
    Do you tap?' Do you slap?? Do you have a good ear??
    If not, get the tapes, enroll a music school.
    If you do... get something new to work with:
    a 6 String bass, a 7 String Bass(This is for Holy people only)

7. joen

joen

Sep 2, 2000
    I'm 48. Got back into playing a few years ago after retiring from work. Made a living playing in my high school days. Finally looking for a weekend or garage band to play with. I didn't think I was any good after being away for so long but I can still play. Don't cash it in yet. "Play on"!

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Don't ever give up on bass. Try learning new music if you think you aren't doing well like alter a song that you've known forever for me it was Guerilla Radio, i've added a bass solo parts where i slap & tap. then other parts where i octave & hammer alot it sounds good & got me out of my rut. that's all

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm with joen - if we can keep it up in our 40's( and I have had many ,many plateaus)it would be a shame for you to give up at your age.You'll regret it.

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    j3b3r-

Don't give up.

One question, have you ever listened to yourself taped live at a gig? Or are you basing your opinion of your playing on what you percieve/remember during and after the playing is over? I've always found that when I'm actually "in the moment" I hear every minute little flaw in my playing, and it becomes magnified for some reason. But, if I listen to a tape (I usually bring a walkman-style cassette recorder to all my gigs) of the gig or rehearsal, I find that the problems are usually so small in actuality that they're almost invisible to me as an "audience" member as opposed to being the musician. Usually the only way I'm able to notice them at all is if I'm thinking "here comes that one part that I TOTALLY botched!", then when it actually happens, I'm usually flabbergasted at the sounds I'm hearing, they're NEVER as bad as I'd feared, and it's been like this for me for 20+ years now. I've been told by many fellow musicians and friends watching me play that the mistakes and flaws that I'm hearing are totally unnoticable to them when they're watching/listening. Maybe the same is true of you? Try recording yourself the next time you're in a playing situation, and you may find that it's not as bad as you think after listening to the results.

On the topic of "plateaus" in your playing, I've always seen them somewhat differently. The view I take is this, there are times when we're learning new things, and it seems that we're growing by leaps and bounds, and it's particularly noticeable at the earliest stages, when it's ALL new. Once you reach a certain level as a player, there isn't as much "new" to learn (there's always SOMETHING to learn, no matter how good you get, that's one of the great beauties of being a musician), so it isn't as obvious when you're gaining ground. But, you ARE always getting better if you're practicing and gigging. You almost can't NOT get better if you're playing at all. I've always considered those times that most refer to as "plateau" periods as times when I'm refining and perfecting (never reaching perfection, of course) all of the information that I've managed to accrue to that particular point in time. It's not as obvious or exciting of course, but it's at least as important, if not moreso than the "new material" phases we go through. These are the times when we are getting the ability to actually USE the new information, putting it to work, taking the metaphorical hammer and driving nails instead of going to the store to buy it or polish it.

11. Well i guess we have all been there, but then when you least expect it... a new burst of creativity comes to you, and that is a very pleasant feeling. Start listening to new music, seek new things to learn. Maybe a break would be handy. I dunno. Anyway I guess you are in a band? Then perhaps you guys should just jam it up once in a while so you get to try all new things you have come up with during your quest for new inspiration..

Oh well, good luck.. and remember: you are not alone.