Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Go to college, become a gear whore...as if I don't spend enough on my education!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Selta, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, ever since I've come to college, I found myself looking for - and buying - more bass gear. First thing I bought when I got down here, a nice new HSC for my ESP. After that, a nice Ashdown amp. After that, a Washburn XB125. Now I'm onto an OLP MM2. Maybe on top of that a Traben, if we can work out a deal. What's up with this? I wasn't like this until I "got out" now more own my own than before. Is it the fact that I don't have someone pestering me as why I'm buying everything, or something else? It's not like before my parents or anyone got me from buying anything, they just always asked why. :confused: it's kind of odd. Is it just a phase, or with every pay check will I be buying something new now :eyebrow: ? I guess perhaps I lost my self control over money somewhere, but looking at my bank account, I still set aside some with every pay check too, just like I used to. Has anyone else found something similar happen to them in any situation, or does this apply to me? :ninja:

Somebody save me.

Ray

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I've been in a similar situation, though it's mostly with CDs and vinyls. I'm still a compulsive music buyer, I believe the problem is that I'm pretty complacent with my own gear; and CDs are significantly cheaper than basses and amps. My only advice is to find someone with the same problem as you and become buddies so you can try and keep each other's habits in check. That way there will be someone to ask you "why?"...or maybe it will be more like "Hey! Can I borrow it for a while?", whatever.

My friend and I have this arrangement, sorta, neither of us has really cut down on our music purchasing, but we continue to get albums that the other person doesn't have and wants; so we burn copies for one another. So I guess in that respect we're saving money...but then we end up going out and buying the burned disc anyway because we want to own the 'proper' album and the burned copy is just a stop-gap solution....

Ok, so I guess my method doesn't really work that well..I guess you just have to wait until your GAS gets so bad it's impossible for you to continue. Then again...the human spirit is indomintable, so it will always be possible for your to get more gear...so I guess that doesn't work either.

Yeah, you're screwed.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
  4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I did the same, over the last two years since i came to University ive bought:

A D*A*M custom Overdrive / Distortion

[​IMG]

Ashdown AMB-300EVOII + AMB Mini4x8 Cab

[​IMG]

Pedulla Rapture - Candy Red / Birdseye / Barts

[​IMG]

Gotta love the Student Loans Comapny :D!

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    That pedal looks like fun:D

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Very cool, but yeah, 2 years you spent that much, 2 months and I've spent like $750. Sooo yeah, cures?

Ray

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ...i haven't played bass in like...two weeks. maybe longer.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've not really bought much. Lot of lateral movement though. 3 cabs, 2 basses, an amp, some effects...

Trading is fun.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I wish I had stuff people actually wanted for trades...

Ray

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    No big deal. Just make sure you use it.

Go find a band and gig if you arent doing so already. College is full of musicians and music fans.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alright then.....no "poor college student" stories from you. :)

-Mike