1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Go to the doc to have my eyes examined...find out I have HBP

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Apr 16, 2009.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    good news is the eye problem was an easy fix, a warm wash cloth held on the eye twice a day untill swelling goes down...now the bad news, they take your weight, bp, and pulse before the doc sees you and after taking my bp the nurse says excited to be here?? My bp is 142/94 my pulse is 64 bpm, the doc said before he starts meds is drop 5-10 pounds and monitor my bp. he set my goal at 125/80. Does anyone here take meds for hypertension? What was your lifestyle changes and was it hard to make those changes to better and prolong your health?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm on two HBP meds. I'm in my 40's and it's hereditary. For me, they have zero side effects. Some aren't so lucky. It's ALWAYS hard to make lifestyle changes, which is why I haven't made many! Seriously though, losing weight is the best thing you can do. I just need to get motivated to do it.

3. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Why is high blood pressure bad?

4. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota

ask your doc

5. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Ever hear of spontaneous combustion?

:D

6. More likely to pop a gasket.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Slightly lower than it should be blood pressure.

It's fun, standing up or getting out of the shower always has a fun risk of the room spinning and falling over :)

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I decided to exercise more, it helps to bring it down and I'm terrible at remembering to self med.

8. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Isn't that normal? :eyebrow:

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You had me right up to "shower".

10. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    nope, I had HBP and high cholesterol, doc wanted to put me on meds but i never took them, I just stopped eating fried foods, soda and stopped drinking every day and a month later all good. small changes in habits make a huge difference.

11. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Now tell than to America's 20% obese.

12. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    really only 20%?

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Do you snore at night?

-Mike

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've been on HBP and cholesterol meds for years - changing diet didn't even come close to dropping the cholesterol, which is also an inherited trait.

The meds haven't changed my life at all...and since I like living, you BET I take them.

If you don't know the dangers of HBP, don't ask here - do an online search, fer crissake!!

15. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    That's a good question. Hypertension is something that typically doesn't cause symptoms until far too late. I'll try to summarize a few of the reasons that hypertension is bad:

1. Perhaps the most dramatic effect of high blood pressure, and the most easy/fun to demonstrate in the office, is that it makes it more difficult for the heart to pump blood. What you do is take a partially inflated blood pressure cuff, roll it up, and squeeze it. Now watch the dial. If you squeeze hard, it'll go up to 120 or so. If you squeeze a LOT harder, it'll go up to, say, 150. Now imagine doing that every second. You'll see that it's much easier to pump at 120 than it is at 150. Your heart works the same way. The heart has very little difficult increasing volume flow, such as while exercising - but it is much harder to pump at increased pressure (resistance).

Having hypertension puts you at risk for a number of heart diseases, including coronary artery disease (high pressure damages blood vessels and can eventually lead to a heart attack), aneurysm (bursting of an artery which is very often fatal), heart failure (the heart gets bigger under pressure, which leads to all sorts of problems and eventually death), etc.

2. Having very high blood pressure increases the risk of bursting a blood vessel. In your brain, this can cause a stroke. Even without having a stroke, people with hypertension sometimes get headaches due to the pressure.

3. The increased blood pressure can damage your eyes (retinopathy).

4. High blood pressure destroys your kidneys over time. Uncontrolled high blood pressure is one of the reasons people need kidney transplants. If your pressure is high enough for a long enough period of time, you can wind up peeing blood - not cool!

Also, having hypertension puts you at increased risk for sleep apnea, sexual dysfunction, and more (for example, hypertension is a very bad thing for pregnant women).

For those who control hypertension with diet and exercise: great! But it's a good idea to get regular checkups (and also to check pressure at home) to make sure you're OK. If you don't check your pressure for a couple years you may find out you're much higher than you thought you were.

Nowadays there a number of medications for hypertension which cause few, if any side effects, and most of them are generic. Unless you absolutely can't afford the doctor's visits, there's no reason not to get meds for hypertension or at least make lifestyle changes - it's something that can add years to your life.