God Hates This Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, May 9, 2002.

1. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    just recently i decided to add to my burgeoning collection of Slayer albums and picked up a copy of their latest effort, "God Hates Us All". initially going on the overwhelmingly positive comments i'd seen on allmusic.com, i was expecting big things - maybe even another classic thrash fest, another "Reign In Blood". cranking up the CD as soon as i got home caused two significant things to happen:

- i vomitted
    - and then began crying loudly

what is this crap? what's happened to one of the most influential speed-metal outfits to ever scrape through the late 80's with their integrity intact?
    the riffs are something that an adolescent band would come out with, Kerry King's solos are absolutely terrible, easily forgettable, and sound (poorly) improvised, the lyrics follow a disturbingly bland trend from song to song (eg. Araya screamingly repeats the title of the song during every chorus, childish rhyme patterns, utterly ridiculous and uninspired writing), after the second song the bass somehow seems to completely disappear, and perhaps the worst thing of all: there are elements of nu-metal present in some of the tunes. not that i'm having a go at nu-metal, but i don't listen to it at all and find that doing so causes me to fall into something resembling a coma. which is exactly what happened after listening to about the fourth song :(

excuse the rant, but it's just an incredibly maddening and frustrating thing to see one of your favourite bands (i was listening to Slayer when i was 11, and they were the first metal band that i was ever introduced to) go completely off-track and dumb down their approach so completely.

who else wants to burn their copy? :mad:
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like it. It sounds better than the last couple of albums they've put out.

And, Tom always has a way with words. :D

They put on a great show in support of God Hates Us All in Atlanta.

It's no Seasons in the Abyss, or Reign in Blood, but I think it's about 1000% better than any of the NuMetal stuff out there.

Oddly enough, I bought God Hates Us All, and John Coltrane's Sunship at the same time. I always get strange looks when I do stuff like that... :cool:
  3. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    oh, absolutely - i agree that's a definite improvement over "Diabolus In Musica" and "South Of Heaven", but i just can't shake the fear that Slayer are steadily degenerating into a bunch of old men running out of steam.
    naturally it's about a zillion times better than any nu-metal release out there, but the mere fact that i found myself likening the gods of thrash metal, Slayer, to a genre that once may have stood against everything they themselves stand (stood?) for was cause for alarm. i find myself now living in constant fear of Slayer releasing a "Load" album :eek:
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I haven't heard any of their new stuff in a while. Their albums kept getting "borrowed" from the radio station where I worked. :mad: The only album of theirs I really liked was Divine Intervention, and I'm not going to run out and buy their new stuff because there are better metal bands with better attitudes whom I'd rather support.

I don't see them doing a "Load" type of thing though - then their "I'm a big bad-a##" image goes out the window. Maybe they'll go gangsta rap instead. :p
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    or pop-punk :mad: Kerry King recently did some project with Sum41, of all bands! i'm really starting to question just what the hell they're shooting into their testicles these days.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey S!c!O!n!E!s,

Am I the author of any of your "spankings?" ;)
  7. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    better'n that, FASTBLOW, you're the author of no less than two :D

p.s. i really hope ye olde sig's not being misconstrued by anyone ... it's merely there to give me a wry smile over how bloody long it took me to straighten up and start contributing. thought you mods might alternately get a kick out of it or think i was being a smart arse ;)
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm guessing #5 and #6! Am I right?! Am I right?! :D :D :D
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Didn't Disciple get a grammy nom last year for best Metal performance?
  10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I dunno about yours, but the absolute final warning one sounds like Embelisher to me.
  11. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    and the door prize is yours! no denial, excellent, you're worthy :D man, were those a heated exchanges or what ...

yes, i believe they did - further testament to them toppling over to mainstream corporate whoreness, i say! it's all well and good in it's place, but it's just not the band i know and admire. it's even more excrutiating to recall that, because i found "Disciple" to be one of the better tracks on the album :oops:
  12. Dunno 'bout you, but when I go back and listen to the stuff that I loved when was 12 (older Metallica, Green Day, the Offspring, etc.) I ask myself, "Why did I like this stuff?"

Slayer's evolved. So have you. You just happen to have gone down different tracks. Recognize that and you'll be a happier man.
  13. Yo Tones ask us Police fans about what happened to Sting after he broke up the group...

14. whoa whoa whoa, number six is ME, thank you very much.
  15. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I HATE IT! =(
    yeah i agree with you tones..
    that album = total suckage
    hmm the last 3 slayer albums too me have kinda sucked.. well sucked for me.. some people like em...
    but i dunno whatever floats your boat
    I think alot of old bands are washed up now... look at cannible corpse.. look at metallica..look at Backstreet boys *grins*
  16. Try listening to a little Lamb Of God, that'll cheer you up.

Me, I never liked Slayer. The vocals were always a little too annoying (IMO). I still respect (respected?) what they did for metal in general, and the inspiration they gave to some of the other artists I listen to today.

Slayer R.I.P.
  17. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    LAMB OF GOD! there incredable.. ive seen em twice =D they own!!
    im not a huge thrash metal fan though.. I do like exodus and older metallica and i get into older slayer once n a while but thats about it
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey tones, which one is me? surely i'm on there, somewhere. no?
  19. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I didnt think Diabolus is that bad! I think Stain of Mind is a really cool song! But, You guys are right. I mean, take a look at what labels they have been on. The labels get more and more corporate and main stream threw out the years. I think that has dramatically changed their sound.
  20. wow, and to think that I almost brought the new slayer album. Maybe I should just dl it instead. I've been wanting to get into slayer because I'm bored waiting for the new stuff to come out. I've got all Metallica, and Pantera's stuff I figure go for the tri-fecta and get Slayer.

On a better note any of you guys check out down? They just released their second album "II" It's got Rex (the bassist) and Phil (the lead singer) of Pantera. Though it's quite different from Pantera's work, it's still some pretty good stuff. What do you all think about it?

I'm hoping we see a resurgence of old school heavy metal soon. Pantera is supposed to be going into the studio sometime in the future. And with James out of rehab, hopefully metallca will go back to their roots and put out another Master of Puppets. Too much of the stuff you hear lately is whimpified...we need some good old fashioned aggression.

And that's my two cents. Keep the change.