Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin A4 Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Is there anyone who have tested Godin A4 Bass?
    Your opinion?
    Pros/cons

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've owned the earlier "Acoustibass" model (double cutaway, shallower body) for a long while...10 years at least. It's well made (especially the neck), sounds good and I have had zero problems with it.

If you have some specific questions, fire away.

3. I love the playability and quality of my A4 fretless, but I find it too boomy sounding and cannot seem to find a good balanced sound.... but that is MO!
    Best to test one yourself.

4. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Now I've tested an Godin A4
    It felt and sounded good.
    BUT.. There was a "rattling"sound coming from the 9V battery clip.wish was attached to the circuit board inside the bass

Anyone who have experieced the same problem?

Solutions?

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I had one of these for over a year. Sold it to pay for my Turner Electroline.

I never had any problems with my A4. I had an unlined fretless. I loved the woody sound. I had a set TI jazz flats on it and they baby could sing.

6. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I suppose it isn't a good idea to put the battery clip under pressure when it is attached to the circuit board?

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Battery clip? My A4 had one of those battery boxes in it that swing open and closed.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've played one. Great bass.

9. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I play both a fretted A4 and fretlesss A5. Both are fantastic basses. As stated the necks are outstanding, and the overall craftsmanship is quite above par.

These basses offer a multitude of varying tones and dynamic sensitivity which cannot be achieved by solidbody/maganetic PU basses. Due to this the eq is going to be a bit different. I have found that using the onboard eq to cut freqs rather than boost provides all the tonal shaping neccessary, and thwarts the boominess inherent in semi acoustics.

That being said, I now use mine all the time in a variety of settings and the sensitivity, articulation and tonal variety have made me "retire" most of my other basses (at least for the time being).

They are very expressive instruments, and as such are quite unlike most solidbodies. More control over your touch and articulation is required, and finger placement makes a world of difference tone-wise. But the payoff is a sound which unique and wholly musical, and fits into any situation.

Max

10. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks for Your opinions
    I think the GodinA4 that I tested felt and sounded good, but what's botter me is the "rattling" sound from the battery clip (look abowe)

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I love Godin acoustic/electrics.

Brianrost mentioned the older Acoustibass model. Here's a black one for sale. FYI...they came with either a Jazz width or Precision width neck. The one featured on the link in a Precision width at 1 5/8 at the nut.

You can't see in the pictures, but there is this nice thumb rest that runs above the E string. That is a very nice feature.

http://www.tradingbasses.com/webalbumtradingbasses_027.htm

12. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have not had any problems with a rattling battery clip on either of mine. My A4 is an older model where the battery clips, quite firmly and secure, to the preamp circuit board, and is accessed via the plate on the rear.
    My A5 is a newer model with a pop up battery compartment on the rear behind the bridge. Neither ratttles in any way.

I am curious; does the rattle appear on only certain notes or is it there whenver the bass is being played?

Max

13. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Does Your bass have that construction with a battery clip attached to the circuitboard?
    Do you recognice the problem with "rattling/vibrating" sound from the controlcavity?

14. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden

It appered on most notes and over the whole neck
    though it was a matter of toushsensivity

15. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    It appered on most notes and over the whole neck
    though it was a matter of toushsensivity