1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

godin a4 fretless question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kkaarrll, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I like em, but don't want the thumbrest all down the top of it. How hard would that be to remove?

j71xabprr6ad4cgudty7.jpg

2. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    anyone have an idea?

3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Hm, no idea. I was in the opposite predicament with my fretless. It had no magnetic pickups and I had to add a full length thumb rest. Good luck to ya. Hopefully it's not glued....

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I think they are glued.
    Some one may chime in here on TB.
    Try Godin customer service.

5. Pretty sure they're glued on. Good luck removing it without removing a big chunk from the top.

Older A4's didn't have the rest, but I think they didn't have the magnetic pickup, either.

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The Godin Acoustibass (which was the forerunner of the A4) had two screws holding it, and was easy to remove. The new ones are glued last I heard. I'd have a luthier look at it rather than try to do it yourself.

This is mine:

IMG_2941.JPG

7. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    I had an A5 Ultra, and it was glued. I don't know if removing it might damage the finish. You might check to see if you could order it without- Godin is pretty good about that,I hear.

kkaarrll likes this.
  8. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    It is likely that they attached the rest to the face (with glue) and then sprayed laquer over the entire thing.
    This would make the glue and the clear coat what is holding it to the body .

My guess is that if you remove the rest then there would be only glue directly on the face and NO finish under that strip. Meaning you would likely need to have the whole top stripped and refinished. Not a cheap thing to do.

But it might be possible that they sprayed the top and while it was still wet stuck the rest on (the sticky paint acting as the glue). If that is the case, you might be able to get away with heating it up a little and see if it can be easily removed. But, then you are like to still have a really "off" strip on the face of where the rest was as the UV exposure as well as the texture of the finish is different.