Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin A4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jucas, Apr 13, 2004.

1. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Hey,

I've decided to get myself a fretless A4 but before I do, I was wondering, are they available without the short fretlines by the E string? I wanted an unlined fretless that just had the side dots as position markers. Other than that it is exactly what I'm looking for, so i'm probly going to get it regardless.

Is that available as a custom option or do I have to break out the magic marker when I get it? (If it is does it cost alot extra?)

Thanks

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Not sure if you can get that mod. Check with Long and McQuade. They can tell ya.

Have you considered the older Acoustibass? It has this great thumb rest above the e string. A little harder to find. They came in both J and P neck widths. Not sure about the fretline thing.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have a fretted A4 and fretless A5, both are excellent basses..in fact 90% of my work is with these two. I am also a Godin endorsee...
    As far as I know, the mini-lines are standard on the fretless A4 and 5's. The older models of these (pre-98) have no lines, and the older still Acoustibass has no lines.
    Those little lines are not visible to folks watching you (so you will still have that "clean board" look, but ther are most helpful in addressing the continuing dilemma of fretless intonation!

Godin, for some reason (most likely being how their necks are designed for multiple models) keeps the side dots on the fretless models just where they would be on fretted models...so using them for a reference is not so good!)

That being said.......the A series basses are FANTASTIC basses. I get many compliments on them from civilians as well as otherc bassists ...not to mention engineers and producers who now call me for sessions requesting my Godins (whereas I used to get many requests for my 67 P bass......)
    Great value, fantastic playability and sound...and quite versatile. They offer something most solid basses cannot, yet can deliver those solidbody tones as well......and you can slap and atp on them, well, slapping on the fretless is a trick......

A wise choice in the Godin.

Max

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My fretless Acoustibass has the side dots in the right locations
    :confused:

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    The A4 Fretless I owned had no lines on the board at all, and the side dots were placed at the point where a fret would be.

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i played a five strin fretless unlined, it was sweet. good luck

7. maxvalentino

The older (prior to 2001, I believe) Godin A4's and A5's have the side dots in "proper" fretless positions (that is where the fret should be...). I have heard from older Acoustibass players that some have dots like this and some have dots where fretted basses would have them placed. The Acoustibasses I have played all had no lines and "fretless" position side dots, though.

The older models of both the A series and the Acoustibass have no lines. In 2001- 02 Godin "redesigned" the A series and began using the "mini lines" (which only drop onto the board as low as the lowest string, and so are quite camoflagued). They also began using a new bracing design for the top and what they call the "ergocut" in which the edges of the fingerboard are slightly beveled in wards, creating a "broken in" feel, which is more comfy for the hand (esp with the five string).

My A4 (fretted) is from 98 and does not feature these, and it does "feel" slightly different than the fretless A5 which Godin sent me last year. My fretless has the mini lines, which are by no means any hinderence, and quite easily ignored (as they should be....intonation is found by hearing not looking) and the side position dots are where they would be if this were a fretted bass (those too are quite easily ignored...)

Glad to hear so many happy Godin players chiming in. They are excellent basses.

Good luck
    Max

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hello Max

I prefer any of the Godin A4/5/Acoustibasses in fretless and black with white binding, which as you know, is no longer available.

I was in Seoul last month and found two black fretless Acoustibasses with the Jazz neck width necks. They played like butter. The price...USD2000 each!!!

That thumb rest makes it a nice bass to play. Ya gotta work on Bob Godin to engineer them back on. I know the internal bracing wouldn't permit the thumb rest on the A4/A5.

...and if you're talking to Mr.Godin...push for a candy apple red model with matching headstock and cream bindings.

I'm not asking too much am I?

You gonna be playing in Europe at all this year?

bmc

9. maxvalentino

You might be asking for a bit much! I don't think there was much demand for the solid colours they used to offer(even that nice "cogna burst")...and I have been pushing them to do something with piezo and mag pickups (maybe with a variation of their jazz guitar body a'la the Lakland Hollowbody).

As to the thumbrest.......the bracing does not allow it, though one can be put on. The new tops are quite active so placing what becomes another brace on the top would deaden that. Add to this the tops are cedar, so screwing one in would probably not be the best idea...the screwss would loosen.

I personally have never cared for thumbrests ( I use a floating thumb technique), but that is just me.

I just got back from a tour of Spain and Southern France as part of a Flamenco troupe...I was given a short solo spotlight (with Falmenco dancers in support). But, I don't have plans on getting to Europe this summer (staying kinda close to home this year!)

Thanks.......

Max

10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    If you are going back to Korea you can take my A4 and sell it on consignment for 2 grand U.S. and I'll split it with ya:).
    Rezdog

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hey if it isn't maudit rezdog.

Comment ca va tway? Sitting here listening to CHOM on the net. Gotta love it. Just need a bowl of poutine to round it out the experience.

Seriously...do you have an A4? Fretted/fretless?

That store in Seoul is here. It's not my site. It's some other lucky TB'r who checked it out this store on his honeymoon.

http://www.lamarjonz.com/Bass/NakWan/index.htm

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    shoam-Shoam-SHOAMMM....It's been a while,maybe I'll give them a listen to too. Modern times on the net. But anyways... my A4 is a black fretted one. I don't use it live very much but love it for noodling and writing around the house. I'll probably pick up a fretless one of these days cause they do sound great unplugged. Oh, the A4 is part of the family but thanks for the tip.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog