Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin A5 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ytsebri, Apr 21, 2001.

1. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Alright. Here's the deal. I've been looking for a good affordable extended-range fretless (preferably a 6'er). So today, lo and behold, I stumble upon one of these bad boys. Perfect sound I was looking for. I'm sold (haven't bought it yet :D) Now, what I want is previous experiences with these basses. Have any of you had one? Has there been a bad track record on neck/electronics/etc.? Input will be appreciated. BTW JT, I can't afford a Conklin Hollowbody 7 :) .

2. I have the A4 and it is a superb instrument. In fact, I actually own 5 Godin instruments (3 acoustic guitars and and electric guitar) and they are all of fantastic quality.

The necks on the Godin are certainly one of their best features. The started out in the business by making high quality replacement necks. As for the rest of the workmanship, you can probably see for yourself that the woodworking and materials are very good. The electronics are also clean and problem free.

I'd say if you love the bass, buy it, because Godin's are know for being very high quality instruments and you shouldn't have any problems after the fact.

3. Rob, I am in the market for an acoustic bass (since having had my Tak stolen last week) and I am looking at the Godin. Would you know what one might expect to pay for an A4 in Canada?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The only experience I've had with the A5 was having a real hard time putting it down. I spent literally 15 minutes reasoning with myself on why I didn't need to buy it (as many here can attest, I can be hard to reason with ;)).

Sweet bass...if I didn't have the fretless I have I'd definitely consider it.

5. Xavier, I got mine for $785 CDN with the case from Ring Music in Toronto. He special ordered it for me and I think he gave me a very good price since I've bought so many instruments from him in the past. I believe the standard price at a place like Long and McQuade is more like about $930 CDN or so.