Godin A5 Ultra, Acoustic-Mix Jack/Preamp/Piezo pup/IDFK problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MTBassMania, Oct 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    So a few days ago, the Acoustic-Mix jack started cutting out the "acoustic" portion of the mix, and the Lens soapbar pup was coming thru VERY distorted (as if it was very hot). First thing I think is that the battery is dead or dying. Try to replace it, and I can't get the battery connector to come out. Having a bad day, I presumed it was just a crappy design, and popped it out with a screw driver. So then I couldn't get a new battery in properly.

So I open her up. Apparently when I changed my strings, the positive battery cable got caught on the string washer and got jammed against the spruce top - which is why I had no extra cable with which to change the battery.

So I fix that, put in a new battery. Same problem - every now and again the acoustic/piezo sound makes a little crackle and disappears. I tried three different batteries. I opened every panel up and looked for bad connections, dirt, etc. Nothing. The only thing I can think of is that the copper wires of the battery cable got severed when the cable got smashed. So I split, strip, and twist-attach the wire back together. The problem still persists...

I know it isn't a power issue. When the battery is removed, NO signal (not even the passive Lens soapbar) comes through the Acoustic-Mix jack. So if that wire was actually the culprit, I wouldn't be getting the soapbar signal either. The Electric jack works fine, but all I get is the soapbar.

W.T.F'n.F.... What am I missing? Has anyone else had this problem? Recommendations? Most immediately, I'm gonna take it in and have a shop tech put in a new battery connector. But I can't figure this out and it's turning me purple.

2. lannybass

lannybass

Nov 24, 2008
    Hey, did you ever figure out the battery drain issue. I’m having the same problem.
    Thanks