1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Godin A5 Ultra, Acoustic-Mix Jack/Preamp/Piezo pup/IDFK problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MTBassMania, Oct 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    So a few days ago, the Acoustic-Mix jack started cutting out the "acoustic" portion of the mix, and the Lens soapbar pup was coming thru VERY distorted (as if it was very hot). First thing I think is that the battery is dead or dying. Try to replace it, and I can't get the battery connector to come out. Having a bad day, I presumed it was just a crappy design, and popped it out with a screw driver. So then I couldn't get a new battery in properly.

So I open her up. Apparently when I changed my strings, the positive battery cable got caught on the string washer and got jammed against the spruce top - which is why I had no extra cable with which to change the battery.

So I fix that, put in a new battery. Same problem - every now and again the acoustic/piezo sound makes a little crackle and disappears. I tried three different batteries. I opened every panel up and looked for bad connections, dirt, etc. Nothing. The only thing I can think of is that the copper wires of the battery cable got severed when the cable got smashed. So I split, strip, and twist-attach the wire back together. The problem still persists...

I know it isn't a power issue. When the battery is removed, NO signal (not even the passive Lens soapbar) comes through the Acoustic-Mix jack. So if that wire was actually the culprit, I wouldn't be getting the soapbar signal either. The Electric jack works fine, but all I get is the soapbar.

W.T.F'n.F.... What am I missing? Has anyone else had this problem? Recommendations? Most immediately, I'm gonna take it in and have a shop tech put in a new battery connector. But I can't figure this out and it's turning me purple.