1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Godin A5 Ultra Fretless and TI Jazz Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EthanHall, Aug 5, 2016.

1. EthanHall

EthanHall

Nov 4, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Howdy everyone,

I have been reading Godin related threads and listening to a lot of demos but have yet to find a solid answer.

I recently bought an A5 Ultra fretless for a couple of reasons; to have an affordable, high quality, and portable acoustic tone alternative to my fretted electrics; and to learn the art of fretless playing.

While the bass is top notch, I feel that the D'Addario ECB81-5SL are decent for the acoustic sound but leave something to be desired on both the piezo and the magnetic pickup tones overall. I just find them a bit more muddy and ambiguous than desired. I really love the TI JFxxx demos I have heard, but none tested on both modes of the A5 Ultra.

- Have any of you ever tried or heard the TI JF on the Ultra fretless? I don't mind if the electric side brightens up quite a bit, but of course I want the piezo to remain as acoustic sounding as possible...and my concern is that the JF may be too bright for that.

- If so, are the 345 long enough, or would I need the 365?

- Any adjustments to playing with the lower tension of the TI over the D'Addarios?

- Any alternative recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Hiya!

The ECB81-5SL are D'Addario's "Super Long" set. Info here.

You want extra long rather than just long scale when you replace them.

When in doubt, just ask Bass Strings Online. They know everything needed to help you out. I get all my strings from them. Great service and prices. And TB members get an additional discount. Highly recommended.

I've got your bass's older cousin, the Godin LR Baggs Acoustibass. I've currently got it strung with half-rounds which are ok. I've got a set of LaBella Copper White Nylons waiting to go on. Can't help with a string recommendation since my Godin only has the piezo. So I have no idea what they'll sound like with your other pickup. I do however have the same LaBellas on a Squire VM Jag Special (which is an active bass) and they sound fantastic on that.

3. EthanHall

EthanHall

Nov 4, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Big thanks for the info, 40!

I will definitely check those guys out as my current favorite string site is not bass specific.

My goal is to avoid ruining the "acoustic" sound for the electric side; but I do suppose it is possible to dial in an approximated acoustic tone with EQ. Or, perhaps this just might be impossible: to cover an electric and acoustic fretless with this single bass. I was hoping to find a string that does enough of each to arrive at both destinations with EQ and technique.

Cheers!

4. EthanHall

EthanHall

Nov 4, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Bump for any additional thoughts...

5. Search for threads about TI's on Rob Allen basses esp Mouse.

I've tried TI's on a lot of my slab, hollow & acoustic basses. Tone has always been great, it's the tension/feel and acoustic volume/projection that have determined if they stay on.

6. EthanHall

EthanHall

Nov 4, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Ah, yes...thanks for the info, Groove!

I'm hearing that the jazz flats are on the money across the spectrum; and the Rob Allens will probably get me in the ballpark on acoustic comparisons.

All the best to you!

Groove Doctor likes this.
  7. EthanHall

EthanHall

Nov 4, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    All,

Just so this thread can have closure, I ended up with the TI JF365. As I suspected, it was a stellar choice even after just a couple of days with them. I still have some experimenting with setup to do, but for now there is just enough "mwah" in the midrange to approach electric sound (though still plenty woody), and the acoustic side is actually smoother while more articulate and dare I say...convincing. I will say at first play they were pretty bright in both modes, but are now really taking their character as they break in.

There is a great acoustic tone starting emerge as they settle. Also, they don't stretch much at all. During my typical initial stretching routine, they lost almost no pitch even on the first pass. Just solid!

One note, the JF365 is very long, even on this long long-headed bass. JF345 will likely work well although it may be a long time before I find out. Now on to which of my other basses will get TI's...I'm sold!

Thanks again!

8. Great news!! Yes they mellow nicely after a month or so. They last a decade or more if you wipe them down after playing.

TI's sound superb with a plectrum & a little palm muting.
    Thumb downstrokes also sound very fat/deep on them.
    A bit of OD + pick gives a decent hollowbody electric bass tone too.

9. EthanHall

EthanHall

Nov 4, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Perfect tips, thanks! I always wipe down as a habit and I'm certainly looking forward to hearing their full potential. Fretless is growing on me for sure :>