Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin Acoustibass (older model)???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Is there anyone who got a picture (or know where i can find one) of an Godin Acoustibass (the older model with tumbrest)???

2. Go there and click on the pic to enlarge.

3. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks!

4. You're welcome! :)

5. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    No pics on sunburst/natural?

6. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Is the thumbrest removable?

7. I'm not familiar with that model, but the only colors I've seen so far are white, black, and natural.

The thumbrest must be screwed on, so it means you should be able to remove it easily, but you'll be left with screw holes in the top. The new A4 and A5 models have no thumbrest.

8. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    What's a resonable price for a used Godin Acoustibass (old model)?

9. Ooh, I'll have to really guess that one. I'd say something in the 400$ range. Really not sure, though.

10. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I've found (I'm living in Sweden) one used Godin Acoustibass (older model with thumbrest) natural/sunburst finish fretless
    and one used Godin A4 natural/sunburst finish fretted, both for 4.000 swedish kronor (about 485 USD)

I want a fretless, so what do You guys think is the best:
    to buy the older model fretless or to by the newer A4 model and defret it?

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Probably buy older model fretless, just because i feel that defretting is a pain.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The new A4's come in fretless.

EDIT: I thought you meant new. In this case, get the AcoustiBass.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'd prefer the old model, because it doesn't have the acoustic shape. You know, the single cut type thing.

Do these sound anything like Rob Allens? (I know there is a huge price difference and I wouldn't be naive enough to expect the same results, but are they similar?)

14. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    OK
    looks like I should go for the fretles Acoustibass (older model)

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Probably not like the Rob Allens. The Rob Allens seem to try to get as close as possible to sounding like an upright, but Godin is definitely a fretless bass guitar kind of sound according to the BP A4 fretless review.

16. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Today I tested a Godin A4 (fretted) but I thought it was verry neckheavey.Does anyone know if the Godin AcoustiBass (fretles older model with longer upper horn and thumbrest) has the same problem (or worse)?

17. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Neck-heavy. Yes. I used to wonder if I could put lead in the lower bout to balance the thing.

18. If you're talking about the A4, that model already features metal inserts in the lower bout to help balance. The problem is more with that body shape, which may work well with guitars, but is less than stellar on a bass, due to the longer and heavier neck.

19. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Does that mean that the older modell Godin Acoustibass is at least as neckheavey as th A4?

20. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Now I've tested even the older Godin Acoustibass
    The neckheavieness is ok for me, BUT the E str didn't sound as good as theother strings (lower output and lesser "mmwwooaahh")
    Anyone who recognize that problem?
    Soloutions?
    The action on the bass was verry low (almost no/flat rielief)
    could that affect the E string sound
    It was stringed with old flatwounds