Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin BG-V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jelloyacket, Jun 22, 2002.

1. jelloyacket

jelloyacket bass > guitar

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    Just wondering what you all think of this bass. I went and test-drove one today; I've never played a 5 before, and sort of fumbled with the B string, but for the music I play the extra range would be very handy. But since it was my first encounter with a 5-er, I was wondering what you more experienced people thought about it.

It's a couple years old, when they had the EMG electronics (SD Basslines now), with all Schaller hardware. The cool thing is that it's brand new, with hardshell case, for $800 (retail $1280). The music store has just had it sitting there for a long time. BTW, the strings were two years old too, so I can't really judge the tonal qualities.

The only bad thing on it, as far as I could tell, is the concentric bass/treble knobs are sort of sticky. Not scratchy mind you (not noisy at all), but when you turn one of them, the other might turn, too. Their movement isn't always independent (not without one hand holding one, while the other turns the other knob). Anyway, thanks for the input, I don't want to botch a purchase.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've played a couple of Godins in the past and they were decent basses, if overpriced.

From what I've seen, they don't seem to sell very well. The music store near me used to carry them but dropped their line because they couldn't move any of 'em. They seem to be of decent quality, but they just don't have the name recognition.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've played one of the newer ones with Duncan electronics and I think it's a pretty nice bass but in that price range I'd go for a Lakland 55-02 if only for the 35" scale and the yummy Bartolini electronics.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have a Godin BG-5 with EMG pickups. I really like it, and the sound is wonderful.

5. jelloyacket

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    The music I most often play is church-type rather mellow stuff, but I want to learn slap. So tonal versatility is important. Anyway, if this helps at all, great.

6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have an older BG-IV, also with EMGs and I love it. It has a very versatile tone, even with those concentric pots.(it's not the pots but rarher the rubber dials which get "sticky". this design has been changed on the newer Godin models)..and the EMGs provide a very tight and controlled bottom. Mind you, the EMG pus in the Godin basses are the REAL EMGs; not the EMG Select or HI-Z, and as such are very "modern" sounding yet capable of some vintage tones (think Spector).
    If there is one stand-out characteristic of the Godin basses it is the necks, which are very comfy, stable and with very good fretwork...far beyond other basses int this price range.
    I have played the newer models, also. THe BL pus add a different character, as does the satin finishes Godin is now applying.
    IMHO Godin's are quite the "sleeper". The quality on all the gutiars and basses is top notch...and they are a phenomenal bargain for their prices. Their name recognition in the US is not very high, but I must say they are exceptional basses...very smooth playing and well built.
    Compared to a 55-02? I won't even go there....but for what it worth, I have never cared for the feel of Lakland necks. Godin's, on the other hand, feel right at home in my hands.
    Max

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Are these it? If so, they sure do look nice, at least.

[​IMG]

8. jelloyacket

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    Yup, those are it (I'm looking at the five-string). Except it doesn't have the flamed top, just a jet black finish.