Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin bg4 or bg5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman4hire, Jun 18, 2003.

1. bassman4hire

bassman4hire

Jun 14, 2002
    canada
    I am looking for anyone who has owned or played these basses. I have thought they would be great, since alot of guitar players I know have swicthed from strats to godin. so I was wondering if they're basses are as good. My local music store hasn't had one yet, so I haven't tried it for myself. any opinions?

2. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
  3. Don't forget the Freeway4 or 5. They are an excellent passive bass with great workmanship and tone. I just wish they came in more than 2 colours!

4. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    better then most fenders, stingrays, and warwicks I've played. Between them and modulus they are my favorite bass players

5. I had a BG5 for about a year. It was a very good bass, with a great neck. Outstanding construction made in Canada.

I liked the EMG pickups but found the bass and treble only eq lacking and added an EMG midrange control module to the electronics... that made all of the difference.

It came with cool looking Schaller machines and a Schaller bridge.. they don't skimp on the hardware or electronics.

I loaned it to a friend who totally loved it and he begged me to sell it to him, so I did.

I then switched to Laklands, a move which I don't regret at all.

But, Godin does make a fine bass that is a truly good value.

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Godin makes some remarkably good instruments, especially for the money. I have a (now-discontinued) SD-4 strung with TI Jazz Flats. I got it used for $190 and it's truly one of the best-sounding passive basses I've ever found-it can hang with my F-Bass BN5, though it's not nearly as versatile.

The massive through-body metal bridge and large body rout under the pickguard combine to give a special acoustic resonance to the tone. On the downside it looks fairly strange and the single cutaway-ish design makes for a slightly longer reach to the bottom frets when it's on a strap.

I'm not crazy about EMGs but the BG4s and BG5s I've played were fine instruments, and I'm sure you can find them used (if you look around) for a really good price.

7. Right now, the BG4 and BG5 feature Seymour Duncan electronics, but those are gonna be replaced, though, so the price of the basses will go down. But I've tried a prototype with the new electronics and it's great!

I have an older BG5 (with EMG's) and I don't miss my StingRay5 anymore. Modern, versatile tone that can handle most musical styles, and great playability (that is, if you like flat, wide necks). Great construction, too. Thrash_Jazz (who is a moderator in these forums) plays a BG4 and he says he loves it!

P.S.: The sound clip posted earlier by Jongor features a BG5 equipped with Seymour Duncan electronics.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    hey, thanks for the mention Ombudsman... :)

Yes, I do have a BG4 (older model with EMG's) and there is nothing better for the money - it's a better sounding and playing bass than some I've tried that are twice the price.

Also it's an incredibly versatile bass soundwise and it is built like a rock. I've never had any problems with mine and it stays in tune even when bein carried outside in minus [insert ridiculously cold temperature here] weather.

9. Plus, it's made in Canada!!! :D