Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin bg4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman4hire, Oct 26, 2002.

1. bassman4hire

bassman4hire

Jun 14, 2002
    canada
    Who has a bg 4 string or has played one, and what did u think?

2. I've played a few.

Like all Godins, they are extremely well made. I just happen to prefer the sound of their passive Freeway which is actually a heck of a lot less money (aren't the BG well over $1000 CDN these days?)

Honestly, I'm sure it's a matter of preference. I find the passive Godin more organic and natural sounding to me, but both are fantastic basses. Don't let the lower price tag lead you to believe the Freeway isn't in the same league as the BG because they are equally well crafted.

3. oomphy

oomphy

Oct 26, 2002
    Rumblesville
    I haven't actually played one myself, but I just saw a brand new BG 5 (with the Basslines pickups instead of EMGs) in Steve's Music (in Ottawa) selling for $950 or so. I also thought they were selling for more than that.

You can check out reviews of the BG at Harmony Central's page (www.harmonycentral.com/Bass), and at Matt Schmill's Bass Gear Review site, which is linked from Harmony Central.

I have yet to read a bad review of that bass. Most people seem to feel as though it's as good as basses costing twice as much. Godin's workmanship really is first class. Tone is always more subjective though, so if you can, try before you buy and all that.