Godin Freeway: a nice surprise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plankspanker13, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Got a 4-string with the natural "leaf top" finish (looks like flames) for $500 OTD w/ bag and it's a honey. Plays like the best custom Fender and strings thru the body. MIA from Canadian parts. Gotoh mini-tuners and tele-style headstock, J neck profile, PJ pickups 20 frets; a worthy workhorse worth checking out.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    *clears throat*.....*taps foot*....

Are you gonna show us some PICTURES or what!!??

brad cook
  3. Yes, they are great basses. I've been saying so for months. I own a Freeway 5 and I really love it. They are so well made they're hard to beat.

4. My 4 string looks like the 5 in the photo. I don't like the string spacing on the 5, or I'd own one.
  5. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    A nice surprise....

Well, Godin simply makes incredible quality guitars and basses so there should be no surprise !!!

I am happy you like your Bass.

Godin has excellent craftmanship and components.
    Hard to beat.
  6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Well, I guess the secret is leaking out....Godin does make excellent basses. The craftsmanship, fit and finish is all superb on all of their basses ( I have a fretted A4, fretless A5, and a BG4)....high quality parts, well built, great tone...and for the money they cannot be beat!
    I thought that the Freeway Model was an exceptional value with some great features for a passive bass.
    Glad to hear someone else sing the praises of Godin Basses!
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I agree!

I tried out the Godin Freeway the other day and I was pleasently surprised with it. It played like buttah and was also reasonably priced!

Did not buy it though, don´t need it :rolleyes:
  8. I always put Hipshot Bass Xtenders on my 4-strings, so the Godin's turn had come. The stock tuners are Gotoh lookalikes, but have internal threading on the string post, as opposed to Gotoh's external threading. Godin's difference results in a smaller hole in the headstock. I have successfully installed the Hipshot. A little graphite and a few gentle knocks with a small hammer did the trick.
    The control cavity is monstrously huge, bigger than Warwick, whose passive basses are fun to upgrade for this reason. Unlike my Warwicks, Godin uses 8 wood screws without threaded inserts into the body. My Godin will remain passive because of this. At least we now know where they have cut the corners to make such affordable instruments. The above niggling points are minor when viewed against the positives.

EDIT: Bottom line here is that this bass is a great MIA competitor to Fender's MIM P-deluxe. The pricing and number of frets are the same, the p'ups & electronics are both passive PJ (tho' I read that Godin's P p'up is single-coil; so far I have not encountered any noise), and, if you opt for the "leaf" finish, you get the look of FMT for no extra cost.
  9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Congrats! Yea, without a doubt Godin makes quality instruments. I'm trying to sell my A4 fretless at the moment, but I must admit I keep having second thoughts about it. Hard to part with such a fine bass.
  10. Hey
    Whats the string spacing on the 5?
  11. In a word, narrow; suitable only for fretless, which, per my call to the Godin factory last year, is not an option on the Freeway.
  12. Godin also makes superb guitars. Two of my friends swear by them.
  13. Narrow - 11,14,15,17,18?
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Godin guitars and basses are top notch. I have a Godin Sd bass and with bartolini pickups it plays like butter (such a fast and comfy neck) and sounds great. The guitars are nice too. My friend has an LG Sp90 and it sounds really good. Great for classical rock or blues, but we use it for funk and it has a really unique tone. Add just a little distortion and it gives it a unique tone that rules for any type of music.