1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Godin freeway

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A. Munk, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Thinking about getting A Godin Freeway.
    Any thoughts on the subject? Pro or con.
    I play finger style.
    Usually jazz or blues related.
    Thanks in advance.
    Munk

2. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Been several years since I played one but I remember liking it a bunch. The only con would be a buzz from the bridge pickup, but that buzz is common in P/J basses and could be remedied by replacing that p'up with a dual coil model.

3. I keep hearing about a buzz. Could you elaborate?
    I'm going to be using this bass for a studio project.
    Has anybody recorded with this bass?
    There was a reference to this bass distorting or buzzing and the pickups being rather hot.
    I'm wondering if that was an isolated incident or what.
    I played it thru an amp at the store and it sounded fine.
    Anybody?
    Munk

4. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I had a freeway 5 leaftop and it was great..

There is a video in my youtube somewhere.

The buzz in the bridge is due to it being a single coil pickup its not the bass itself its the single coil pickups in general have 60 cycle hum. No matter what bass its on Godin or Sadowsky.

5. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I had an older version BG5 with EMG's. It was a great bass - and -dead quiet. Probabky be better suited for studio work.

6. I used to work in a shop that sold Godin for a couple of years. The freeway line was very nice sounding and playing. I never had a customer buy one and come back unhappy.

7. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I just played a used Freeway 5 at GC and was blown away by the tone and feel (I believe it was ibanezcollectors). The bass is light, sounds very clean and clear. As a self described "Gear snob", one might think I would totally hate it, but this is definitely one of those basses that doesn't cost much and I would be proud to own it.

The fretwork is good, the neck is straight as an arrow. If they are all put together like this, I would say that they just surpassed Schecters for "Bang for the buck" value in my book.

It did have the hum, but as stated, better pickups and a shielding job could fix that. If they had the right kind of price on it at GC, I would buy it and do just that. It was truly a pleasure to play.

8. that the one in North Olmsted?

I'm in there probably 2 times a week. I work at the Saturn dealership on Lorain.

9. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That's the one!

10. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Note that the Freeway now has 4 and 5-string models available with active pickups as well ... just no choice of colour (natural satin only). About $130 difference in the price I think, but likely worth it.

I'm a huge Godin devotee .. don't own a Freeway but will likely be the next one if I ever convince my wife I need one!

Currently own 2 BG IVs and a BG V which are discontinued but are premium basses priced at $1,250 new and now incredible steals for about $500 used ... even for the 5 string model.