Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin I might be getting, what do you think ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DreamJazz, Sep 9, 2002.

1. A guy I know just bought a new Cort bass, and is selling his Godin for $550 Canadian. I'll attach a pic of it and anyone with any comments they are welcome indeed. Tell me what you think.

2. Well, the pic shows you're looking at a Godin SD. I can't tell from the photo if it is the SD Pro or not (the Pro has Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups - active).

There is no question that the SD is a great bass but the price may a little high. The SD standard (with passive Godin pickups) sold new for around $550 Canadian at most while the SD Pro was more like high $600's. Find out which it is.

The SD is no longer in production, but the new Freeway 4 sells for about $500 or $520 or so.

I just got the new Freeway 5 and it's a really fantastic bass.

If your friend's Godin is the SD Pro, the price may be okay, but if it is the standard, you're cheaper to get the new Freeway.

They are great instruments though. :)

3. Well I know from talking to him that his pickup battery went dead the other day so that means its active. So I guess I can assume its the SD Pro. The reason the price is so high is because the bass is still in "like new" condition. He baby'd it while he had it.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    And maybe it just wasn't the bass for him. Nice bass. Lasido does good work.

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Yes. from what you say that would be an SD Pro...nice bass.

I have 3 Godins: a fretted A4, fretlless A5 (w/ high C string) and an older model BG4 (w/ EMGs). I love and use all three A LOT (so much, in fact, that my precious '67 p Bass sits unused for months on end!)

I am a Godin endorsee, and as such have played quite a few of their basses...and have yet to find a bad one! The workmanship at LaSiDo is stellar, and I would think that you might find the neck on that Godin to be way above the quality of other basses in that price range.

The bottom line, though, would be is that bass a good fit for you? Does it feel right? If the answer is yes, then by all means go for it.

...and welcome to the Godin club.

Max