Godin or Traben?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by verino, Jul 19, 2005.

1. verino

Jul 7, 2005
    Well ive been looking around for a new bass. And ive run into a delema. There are two very good basses at great prices and i don't know wich one to choose.
    Either a Traben Chaos 5 Electric Bass or a (not exactly sure what model it is) Godin Freeway 5 5-String Bass. So wich one?
  2. The Godin.

It's finely built and is a solid instrument.
  3. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Godin, hands down.
  4. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Easy. Get the Godin.
  5. verino

Jul 7, 2005
    well it looks as if the godin is the way to go. But im still not 100% sure i think ill call my local guitar stores and see what they have to say. The reason im not so sure about this is because Godin is a very known company and Traben is fairly new plus ive heard some very good things about Traben basses also. So well see.Thank you for your opinions :)
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Definitely Godin.
  7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    My Godin SD-4 is butt-ugly but strung with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats it's one of the best-sounding basses I've ever heard. Trabens look a little gimmicky for my tastes but I've heard good things about them.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think my SD4 is ugly :( all depends what you're into i guess. I have bartolinis in mine, i was thinking of stringing it with some TI flats, but i havent been playin it much lately (musicman sterling , yum) so i havent gotten around to it.
  9. Godin's smoke Traben - especially stock.

Traben looks like a horrid amalgamation of stereotypes craft into a single instrument for someone who enjoys the following:

1. Dungeons & Dragons
    2. Evanescence
    3. Live Journal
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Another one for Godin.
  11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    godin especially if it's the nice model, that looks kinda vintage and has the pickguard...
  12. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Godin, of course !!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  13. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Every Godin I have ever seen and owned has been well built and high quality. The parts are made in Canada and are assembled in Berlin, NH, if that means anything to you. The Trabens that I have seen have been of decent quality. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Traben is 35" scale length and the the Godin is 34". You should try to play both of them, as there is a big difference between the two scale lengths. 35" scale usually results in a "tighter" B string but also means a longer reach to first position. I'm a tall guy, so I had no problem adjusting to 35", I actually prefer it now.

So, it really isn't a straight comparison between the two, play 'em and see what you think.
  14. As far as I'm concerned, they are in a totally different league altogether. Definitely Godin.
  15. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    The Godin! They're definitely one of the best value for money basses out there. My SD was my first "proper" bass after a cheapo Jazz copy, and despite now owning a couple of other basses, I still play it a lot.

But like Kevin says, try them both and see what you think.
  16. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002

I haven't touched a Traben, and to be fair, maybe they play and sound great. But, to me, they look like someone took just any batch of cheapo's off of ebay, and cut some fancy metal pickguards to put on 'em. They should just make and sell fancy pickguards.

The only Godin's i've played have been a couple of acoustic fretless four's and five's, and i've been lusting after them since. If the quality of those is an accurate portrayal of the company's products as a whole, i'd say....

Get the Godin.
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Godin. Never played a bad one.

The only Traben I played I had to close my eyes and tell myself it was a Fender.