Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin price change??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deadphish, Oct 5, 2004.

1. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    I was already to spend about 7-800 on a new Godin BG-V. Then the guy at my local dealer tells me that Godin just raised their prices. The former list price of 995 is now 1295. So with a standard retail discount I would have to spend almost 1100 for this bass. I am checking with other stores and Godin themselves to get to the bottom of this. Can anyone shed some light on why prices are going up? Are there new features being added? Their website (Godin) doesnt say much about pricing.

2. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Godin makes a nice Bass but if they did raise their prices that high, I think I would be looking at other Basses. There are a ton of good Basses out there in that price range. I don't think the Godin is worth the price increase....my two cents.

3. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    But the guitarist in my band uses a Godin!!!!! We wanted to be the Godin Bruthas!

Hmmm....not worth the price increase. Back to square one. :(

4. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    That's just my opinion, if you really want one then go for it. The funny thing about worth is that what makes something worth something is how much a person is willing to pay for it. Like I said they are good instruments. I played one at a a local shop here, I was very impressed but I felt that the $925.00 they were going to sell it for was too high. ;)

5. My thought is that the Canadian Dollar has been flying recently, so it cost more just from the exchange rates. just my 2 cents (.79 cdn). :D

6. The BG series have gone through a series of changes.

The original version, which was produced until 1999 (I think), featured EMG electronics and Schaller chrome hardware.

Then, the electronics were changed for Seymour Duncan Basslines, the hardware went from chrome to black with a quick-release bridge, and the bass featured a figured maple top.

The current version of the bass feature Godin active electronics, and is much cheaper than the Seymour version.

The model you're looking at probably features the Basslines. Hope this helps.

7. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    What is the difference between the bassline pups and the Godin ones?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Me and my guitarist are godin brothas :) He uses an LG SP90 and i use an SD bass.

9. About 300$ !!! :D

I don't have much experience with the Basslines, but I liked the Godin electronics a bit better than the EMG's. They were a bit more raw and growly. This is very subjective, though.

10. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    So basslines are seymour duncans?
    And Godin's are Godin's?
    And EMG's are EMG's?????

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yes