Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin SD 4 on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3709367011&category=4713 Just incase any of you are interested. They say it has active electronics, but i think from the pictures, it has the godin passive pickups, just the owner was confused because even the passive model has the 9 volt compartment. (as i was confused when i got it). The pickups are good nonetheless, although i put Bartolinis in mine and i think the tone can run against $1000+ basses and be competative; its amazing. This bass is great for funk and blues, (weird combination, i know, but the slap tone is nice (especially with the barts) and the fingerstyle tone is quite jazzy).
    So just a heads up to anyone whos been eyeing my SD and going "oo, hmm, i might like that". Trust me, great bass for the buck. I payed $320 for mine (used), with a hardcase. This one might go cheaper than that.

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

If memory serves me correctly, Godin made a SD-4 and SD-5 (passive) and also the SD-Pro (active).

The SD-4's and 5's are the precursors to the Freeway 4 and 5 which have double cutaway bodies instead of the single cutaway. I'm not sure, but I think the pearloid pickguard denotes a SD-Pro.

I owned the SD-5 for a bit before I traded up to a BG-5.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You are correct and incorrect. Yes they made Pros and regulars.. no the pearloid pickguard doesnt mean its the pro. THe standard comes with either type. I bought one and it had a pearloid pickguard but it came with passive godin pickups.

4. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Actually it looks like that bass has the Seymour Duncan pickups (the white type appears to be visible in the picture) which would indicate SD-Pro Active (I used to work for a LaSiDo dealer in the late 90s when this model was current).

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Or.. the white you see is the word "Godin" ...

6. jelloyacket

jelloyacket bass > guitar

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    I had an SD-4 also, with the Godin passive pickups (the 9V wasn't connected to anything). That was a SWEET bass. Of course, not as sweet as the BG-V I upgraded to. :D

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

After only a year and a half in this hobby I'm starting to know what I don't know. Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe I'll just have to buy that bass to find out for sure. I haven't bought a bass in 7 months... starting to get the itch... MUST NOT SCRATCH!

8. It's really hard to tell from that blurry picture if it is an SD or an SD Pro. The passive Godin pickups do have the white "Godin" logo on them. The main visual difference was in the knobs; the passive model had pearloid-topped chrome knobs, while the active model had all-chrome knobs.

As Figjam stated, the passive model also have a battery box, and both models feature the pearloid pickguard.