Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godin SD-5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hi is anyone familiar with the Godin SD-5. It is a nice passive five string with Godin's own P/J pickups. A local delar has had one for a while. Should I go for it?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love when people ask about Godin SD's, because not many people have them except me :)

I have a Godin SD-4 as my main bass, and basically the only bass i own that i play. I put bartolini pickups in it, although the Godin ones sound fine, i wanted a darker sound. Great bass, that not many people discovered before Godin stopped making them, so they are not very common.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I tried one out at a local music store. It definitely had that P-Bass tone when you solo the split PU. The neck was slighly chunky as compared to most basses that I've played. The body style does not appeal to me, but that's just me. The string action for this particular bass had been setup by one of the guys at the store and it was low and fast. Overall this is bass plays very nicely, has a very decent PJ tone, and is a decent value for the price. It's best for you to try one out before purchasing though.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree about the neck thing. It has a decently chunky neck profile.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Would you swap a Tribute 5 for a Godin SD-5?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends what kind of tone i was looking for/if the Tribute cut it for me. A lot of people love Tributes, then again most of them havent played the Godin.

What kind of sound do you want?

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm pretty happy with my Tribute. It gets a good P-bass tone actually. I think I have a case of simply wanting something new and pretty cheap.