1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Godin SD4 Bass / Quarter-Pounders

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Hawkeye, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I have a Godin SD-4 bass for sale. Trans-blue, single cutaway Les Paul shape, string-thru body, VVT knobs, nice diecast bridge, Jazz-style 1.5" nut and fast neck.

3-4 yrs old in well-used cosmetic shape (lots of buckle rash but not thru the finish, a few good dings and dents in the body and finish) but from 2 feet away it actually looks really good!.

When I got this bass from Evilbay, it was dirty and needed a setup. The truss rod was too tight, causing a bit of bow-back so over the course of 2-3 days I loosened it about a quarter to half turn at a time to bring the neck back into proper relief. I removed the strings, and cleaned the rosewood fingerboard with lemon oil as it was kinda gunky. I changed the strings to some Fender roundwounds from my MIA Precision which have plenty of life left and thoroughly cleaned the body, neck and headstock. I also set the intonaton properly on the bridge. The action is med-low and it plays very nicely.

The "P" position pickup is a Basslines Quarter-Pounder that was installed by the previous owner. It has a very full and resonant sound with an excellent vintage kind of vibe. As said before, the neck is fast and comfortable. I will include the stock Godin split "P" pickup.

There is a violin-shaped hard case which has seen better days cosmetically. It has lots of small rips in the bottom thru the tolex, but is structurally A-OK. All latches function and it is still strong and sound. Inside is very clean.

While I quite like the sound of this bass, it never quite fit me with a strap on. I was hoping for it to be my "Jazz on a budget" but I prefer the genuine Fender Jazz body shape.

I paid $400 Cdn. for this bass which was too much but will let it go for $250.00 USF plus shipping. This is a great playing and sounding axe that has been well-travelled but it is definitely still in its prime and will either make a wonderful recording bass or look really good on a gig.

I will get some better pics together for serious enquiries.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Bump for a well-built and good-sounding axe.

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Bump for vintage looks and lots of tone. Price reduced to $225.

4. email sent !

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Pics sent by all emails were returned.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Bump for a great bass. I'll throw in a bag of chips and make it a combo.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

gump, I mean bump.

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Tone and vibe to spare, bump.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I can't believe I'm only asking $225 for a Made in North America, string-thru-body, SD Basslines Quarterpounder, fast jazz neck, great sounding, solid Godin construction bass PLUS a hard case. I must be crazy.

If this thing doesn't go soon I'm going to take it down to the local music store and consign it. Last chance.