Godin SD4 Bass / Quarter-Pounders

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Hawkeye, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I have a Godin SD-4 bass for sale. Trans-blue, single cutaway Les Paul shape, string-thru body, VVT knobs, nice diecast bridge, Jazz-style 1.5" nut and fast neck.

3-4 yrs old in well-used cosmetic shape (lots of buckle rash but not thru the finish, a few good dings and dents in the body and finish) but from 2 feet away it actually looks really good!.

When I got this bass from Evilbay, it was dirty and needed a setup. The truss rod was too tight, causing a bit of bow-back so over the course of 2-3 days I loosened it about a quarter to half turn at a time to bring the neck back into proper relief. I removed the strings, and cleaned the rosewood fingerboard with lemon oil as it was kinda gunky. I changed the strings to some Fender roundwounds from my MIA Precision which have plenty of life left and thoroughly cleaned the body, neck and headstock. I also set the intonaton properly on the bridge. The action is med-low and it plays very nicely.

The "P" position pickup is a Basslines Quarter-Pounder that was installed by the previous owner. It has a very full and resonant sound with an excellent vintage kind of vibe. As said before, the neck is fast and comfortable. I will include the stock Godin split "P" pickup.

There is a violin-shaped hard case which has seen better days cosmetically. It has lots of small rips in the bottom thru the tolex, but is structurally A-OK. All latches function and it is still strong and sound. Inside is very clean.

While I quite like the sound of this bass, it never quite fit me with a strap on. I was hoping for it to be my "Jazz on a budget" but I prefer the genuine Fender Jazz body shape.

I paid $400 Cdn. for this bass which was too much but will let it go for $250.00 USF plus shipping. This is a great playing and sounding axe that has been well-travelled but it is definitely still in its prime and will either make a wonderful recording bass or look really good on a gig.

I will get some better pics together for serious enquiries.

Attached Files:

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Bump for a well-built and good-sounding axe.
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Bump for vintage looks and lots of tone. Price reduced to $225.
  4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Pics sent by all emails were returned.
  5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Bump for a great bass. I'll throw in a bag of chips and make it a combo.
  6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

gump, I mean bump.
  7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Tone and vibe to spare, bump.
  8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I can't believe I'm only asking $225 for a Made in North America, string-thru-body, SD Basslines Quarterpounder, fast jazz neck, great sounding, solid Godin construction bass PLUS a hard case. I must be crazy.

If this thing doesn't go soon I'm going to take it down to the local music store and consign it. Last chance.