GODIN SD5.. Good bass ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    hi guys
    I bought yesterday a new baby, a Godin SD5..
    Do you think it is a good bass ??
    I have a Musicman Sterling but I wanted some passive sounds.
    I think that for the price (600euros..) it is a far better bass than MIM fenders, even Standard Us fender..
    The problem is that the J-pickup buzzes and is weak compared to the P one..
    Give me your opinions..
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have an SD4. Great bass. I put Bartolini pickups in mine and highly suggest it. Gives it a great tone. My pickups dont buzz.. the J is a little weaker than the P but that is common on most basss. Usually solved by lowering the P a little and raising the jazz to be closer to the strings. I never really solo the J so most of the time the P is almost on full volume anyway. Great bass though, What color is yours? Mine is in my avatar, its semi transparent blue, with a white pearloid pickguard. I got mine used for $350. (american). Id say it is currently my favorite bass because im most comfortable with it. It is way better than anything in its price range, as most Godins are.
  3. My Godin is my beater bass; a passive PJ with a HIpshot Xtender on it that I have intended as a grab-'n-go instrument. It is a Freeway IV with the "leaf top" finish, and I have been told that it plays like a dreamy Fender by some very authoritative folk with good cred.
  4. bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    Just got a Godin sd5 off eBay for $330. I love it and get a lot of compliments on its looks. Lots of people ask, "what kind of guitar is that?" I have the transparent wine one. After an upgrade to clover tuners and new pickup covers (the pole pieces were getting rusty), it looks and plays like a dream!