1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Godin Shifter 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ric5, May 20, 2011.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I saw one of these Godin Shifter 5 String basses on ebay. I have never played one of these. So tell me about them. Any opinions?

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I played a 4 string Shifter the other day...it was a pretty decent bass. However, it just felt stiff. Kind of like a baseball glove that hasn't been broken in. The set up was good and it sounded fine, but it just seemed, to me, like I was fighting it for control. The neck profile was a bit odd to me as well. A Jazz width with a P-bass profile. I'd like to try a
    5er though.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I saw one like this for sale on ebay.

Shifter_5_Transparent_Cream_HG_MN_11303160_1.

The pickups look identical to the pickups I had on my Dean 10 string bass. They were single coil pickups wound to about 4 to 6k ohms.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I've played a few Shifters. They were all pretty nice but I felt like some of the cheaper Godin basses were just as good, if a few of them weren't better.

5. I have the Shifter 4. Haven't played the 5'er yet but I'd like to give it a test drive. I'm about to string my Shifter 4 with GHS Precision Flats. I agree with the "stiff" tag. I think the bass will break in nicely but it does have a bit of that new bass stiffness. To be fair, I've experienced that on several other brands of bass as well.

6. KalashnikovB32

KalashnikovB32

May 27, 2011
    UK
    I have just taken receipt this week of the Godin Shifter 4 so too early to give you an accurate evaluation. First thoughts though, build quality looks good, the bass feels comfortable, not too heavy and well balanced. Mine has the maple neck which is a joy to play. Soundwise it's interesting, not Fender like, perhaps more of a Warwick, but sounds great.