1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Godin Shifter. HOLY ****

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommygunn, May 28, 2011.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    It was like 3 pbasses (but like distinct enough to be amazing), a real muddy bass, and a real bright bass all in one! It was soooooooooo sexy! My only complaint was the neck, which was like jazz width but fender 70s telebass thickness, for me it would have been better if it was pbass width. That bass was 5 different types of hot and bothered. My god I want one.

Edit: I just read on the site that the tone is push/pull... my god it just keeps getting better and better.

/rave

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Holy Shift is right!

:cool:

3. My girlfriend won this bass at the Canadian rockies bass bash and its not a bad little instrument for the price. Quality is higher than a fender at the same price range.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    They look really cool. Of course I'd have zero use for all the tonal options, but it would certainly make the bass useful in a variety of situations and with a variety of rigs. Godin always builds cool stuff at fair prices.

5. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    Yeah, soooo many different sounds. All good, all passive. Great basses. Personally, I love the neck. Big and chunky...

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I see what you did there :D:bassist:

Lower price! (At least here in the U.S.). The one I was playing was $799, and it kills the >$1k fenders.

I have a feeling you'd get around to these options. Based on the basses you have owned (telebass, pbass, jbass), I think you'd get a fair amount of pup switching in. Not to mention the other sounds it has are just too hard to resist.

THE MOST VERSATILE PASSIVE BASS OF ALL TIME. And I liked the thickness of the neck (I'm a huge fan of warwick and 70s telebass necks), but the width was too narrow.

7. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Chunky, narrow... sounds like the neck on my '69 J. On paper it shouldn't work for me, but it's my favorite I've ever played.

Might have to look into one of these Shifters

:ninja:

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I agree, those are great necks.

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    The neck was amazingly thick, just not wide enough.

10. The price, in your case, being zero...;)

11. Haha... Yep. It also has a very high resale value!

12. I have a Shifter 4 and I am getting used to the neck...it was a bit strange at first. I've always preferred J bass neck profiles (give or take) because I don't have the hugest hands...not small but not bear paws either..so when I first picked up the Shifter, the neck width was great...the thickness front to back was a bit of an adjustment. I found that it was more comfortable when I wore the bass up a bit higher than I normally do. Looks a bit goofy to me but much easier to play.