1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Godin Ultra SA Fretless: A4 or A5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VicPang, Apr 25, 2015.

1. VicPang

VicPang

Jan 3, 2015
    I just played the A4 at Long and McQuade. I love this bass. Sounds great and the neck feels fantastic. But they only have the 4 string A4 and not the A5 in stock.

Has anyone played both A4 and A5 and what's your preference from playability stand point?

I normally play 5 str but prefer narrower neck and slightly closer string distance - that's why I really like my Ibanez SR4005.

Is the A5 on the narrow side as well or does it feel quite a bit chunkier than A4?

2. AmpegB15

AmpegB15

Sep 25, 2010
    I have both the A4 and A5. The A5 is narrow spacing. At the bridge it's 2.60 inches from 1st to 5th string and at the nut it's 1.547 inches. It's actually the narrowest 5 string I have. I normally play 4 strings, so this one is easy for me to transition to.

3. VicPang

VicPang

Jan 3, 2015
    Thankes AmpegB15. What do you like about A4 vs A5 and vice versa.

4. AmpegB15

AmpegB15

Sep 25, 2010
    I bought the A4 new first and later found the A5 used. Since I normally play 4 string, I thought the 5 would be difficult to play, but the tight spacing makes it easy. I could easily get by now with just the A5.