Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marcinkus, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Does anybody own a Godin A4 fretless? I tried one once and I liked it! Nice bass
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I don't own one, but I have tried one out. Very impressive. I might go for an A5 when I can afford it.

3. I've played those before at the music store near my house, those are great. I want one, but they're expensive. Oh well, someday...
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I try an A5 today, I already played a couple of A4 but it's the first and only A5 I tried. It sound very good just like all the A4 I tried, but the B string was unusable. They had only one in stock, so I don't know if it's the bass, the string, or if they are all like this. You couldn't tell what was the pitch of the note played on the B string. It was that bad, they last for about 1 nano sec. I would consider a five anyway, it make a good thumb rest.
    I would like to try another one though.
    The bass was 995$ canadian, about 650USD
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like the A4 too. IMO, the only thing that's comparable in price and quality is the Carvin AC40, and I have no idea how it sounds.
  6. The A4 is a superb bass. The craftsmanship, like all Godins, is really top notch with very high quality materials.

The sound is also very impressive. I use it in situations where it is impractical to bring my double bass along. It really is the closest you'll get to an amplified double bass sound (pizzicato, that is). The tone is so warm, woody and organic.
  7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Hey...last week I got a Godin A4 fretted ostensibly to use as a backup for my solo bass gigs. But much to my chagrin, it has charged right up to the front line of my arsenal. It is really and incredible instrument, with fantastic response and tone. Beautiful wood (mine has a natural red cedar top), and great playability.
    I use a few ABGs and semi-acoustic basses, and this ranks up there with the best. The L.R. Baggs system, btw, is very good and unique. Unlike piezo sysytems which react to changes in pressure on the element, the Baggs transducer reacts to vibrations, which translate as a purer more refined tone without the dreaded piezo chirp.
    A very cool bass, which feels substanstial in your hands, plays great, sounds great, and is somehow really affordable....highly recommended!
    Max Valentino