Godin's willingness for custom options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'm really considering a Godin A5 Fretless for my next bass, but the black finish on the headstock is just repulsive!

Veeery ugly, unlike the rest of the bass which is rather visually attractive. If I'm not mistaken, there's a TBer who works for Godin and I was wondering if he (or anyone else) knows if Godin would be willing to make one and just...not finish the headstock?

Also...short question -- are there lines on the edge of the board? It looks like it to me, which is great. Only thing that caused me hesitation was the lack of lines -- I love the look of an unlined board, but I can't intonate on one. I have played on boards that have half-lines and lines on the edge, which is perfect.
  2. bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    The one I tried had lines on the edge of the fingerboard.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ah! Good to know :D. Actually, I'm beginning to get used to the headstock.

Anyone else tried/own this (especially the five string fretless) bass? I don't care a lotabout the B string, because I'll be tuning this in EADGC, but if anyone has some input or maybe even soundclips, I'd love to hear it.
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    search for posts by TBer MaxValentino. He's done some great recordings with the Godins.
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    There are lines about 1/4" underneath the B-string, which I think is the perfect compromise between players that like blank boards and those of us that need some type of visual cue for intonation. More builders should consider this idea.

As for playing, I make it a priority to stop by the local dealer whenever I'm in Lexington, and if I had any possible realistic use for one right now I'd find a way. In the future, I keep telling myself... :crying: Beautiful mwah and tone on the fretless model with tapewounds, and it's surprisingly loud unplugged considering it's only a semi-hollow.
  6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

The black headstock looks perfect if the body is black :D :

it does look a little out of place on the natural or champagne burst finishes (I think black and champagne burst are both discontinued but pop up used).

Mine is fretted and I like the sound with acoustic guitars (and it can work in other settings as well). I think it would be a wonderful fretless bass - if I ever get the nerve and cash to try fretless an A4/Acoustibass is at the top of my list to get.
  7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I am not too sure about "custom" ordering finishes (even on just the headstock) for these basses....but I find the black headstock quite attractive, and I suppose if it were really an issue it could be stripped down to the maple underneath.

Yes, I play both a fretless A5 and fretted A4 (with a fretted A5 on the way!). The lines are very small; they only come up to where the B string is, and as such they are a useful reference without the obligation to pay attention to full lines....and besides, they give way to a nice "naked" board look (the board is ebony, btw).

I have mine set up with a high C as well, which for my work is quite useful. The 34" scale does provide an excellent B string, yet it also helps the higher strings from sounding too thin. IMHO the bass really excels with a high C.

These are wonderful basses with an incredible dynamic response and a wide array of available tones.

8. My fretless 4 does not have any lines at all - which I like.
    I find my bass is too boomy, and I am not liking it right now at all!

In fact it is sitting on top of my list of basses I may end up selling/ trading etc.... if only I had the balls to sell!

I strongly suggest you test one out.
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Max, man, you just told me exactly what I wanted to hear. I was aware of the ebony board, which was a HUGE selling point for me -- I like the feel and look of rosewood on my Yamaha BB4F, but the wear is annoying as heck (even with a light touch, those TI flats are still pretty textured). Everything you said in that post made me want to buy one more and more, especially the part about incredible dynamic response. I've worked hard on my right hand, and I like a bass that rewards that (and signals screw ups like an alarm bell) -- unfortunately, while my fretless does have good response, it just doesn't sing like a couple others I've tried. I also very much enjoy that it has an onboard 3-band EQ (I'm very much a fan of EQing at the bass).

I'll do what I can to try one, but chances are that I won't be able to. The Godin dealer around here only stocks Freeways, and usually only 4s at that (though they are still pretty swank basses for the price). Speaking of which, how much did your A5 fretless cost you? Did you get it new?

Unfortunately, the used market around here for anything musical is pretty drab, so there's not much of a chance of getting a fretless A5 with the black finish, which, I must say...is intensely awesome looking. The black headstock is becoming a bit of a non-issue now. It'd be a nice option to get it matching or just blank maple, but not to the point of sanding it down.
  10. BAck to the title of the thread: Godin does not plan to make the Freeway fretles anytime soon, and rebuffed my inquiry/offer by phone to purchase a replacement neck for my Freeway 4 with no frets.

I really dig the Freeway 4, but would rather have more frets than 20, thus my desire to make it fretless. I covet an A4 even more after reading this thread.