1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Godlyke Disciple 5 review.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 12, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Well cats and kitties, I did the first session with the Godlyke Disciple 5 that Kevin @ Godlyke sent me. I've gotta say say, I'm impressed. It has a beautiful satin transparent blue finsh with an ash body, maple neck, 2 piece bridge (a la Warwick), rosewood board, and an MM/J p'up configuration. The MM is a humbucker and the J is a single coil. It has an 18 volt preamp and a notch filter. I show up and the studio, which is in Jessie DuPree's (Jackyl) house, and engineer Jeff Tomei (Smashing Pumkins, Matchbox 20, Corrosion of Comformity, El Pus, etc.) meets me at the door and takes me to the wall rack to hang the babies. I unzip the Sadowsky, and mumbles, "Sweet, you came to work." I take out the Godlyke, and asked me what it was, so I told him, then he says, "We know what the Sadowsky can do. Plug that thing in." I plug the Godlyke into the Avalon, and start the wankage. He freaks out. "Holy s**t! That thing parctically EQ's itself!" Then I asked him what a notch filter was, because I had no clue.
    "Does that thing have one?!"
    "Yeah."
    "Engage it!"
    Then walked me through what it does. I ended up playing that thing for about 20 minutes while he got his jollies off of that bass. He was literally blown away. We start the session, and my guitarist had to play about 6 guitar tracks, and my drummer had a Yamaha sub woofer on his kick, and this bass cut through all of that without even being eq'ed yet. After it was mixed, it sounded even fuller! This bass definately eliminates the "Where's the bass?" question. At one point, Jeff wanted to punch me in, because he thought I missed the downbeat coming out of the chorus. One of the vocalists said, "I think he hit it." Jeff thought that the "G" I hit on the E string was the kick drum. I'll have sound samples and pix for you guys Saturday, and I'm going to let Jraj borrow the bass today. Btw, my guitarist played through a mic'ed Orange rig. If your guitarist has the means, I HIGHLY recommend it! You, the bassist, will be glad! CJ sounded AMAZING. The fact that he was a child prodigy didn't hurt! ;) Godlyke also sent a trans red 4 with an ebony board that arrived yesterday. I'll use it on Saturday's session. As for the Sadowsky MS5? Come on dude! That like asking about Ron Jeremy's...um..you know. It did the expected damage. On a side note, I turned the Sadowsky's volume and pre up to 100%, and going through the Avalon, I got "growling" highs. The most amazing thing I've ever heard! :hyper: You'll also get to hear that was well. It's not a Sadowsky vs. Godlyke deal. Two totally different animals, and both kick serious tail! The Godlyke has a more modern tone, but I think that my Sadowsky is a more versitle bass. My only gripe about the Godlyke is its lack of an active/passive switch.

Okay, questions?

Yes, you in the back.

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Right on man!!

Put up some specs of that bad boy when you get a chance.
    And the samples!!

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What's the neck like on the Godlyke WC? I'm a big fan of the Sadowsky 5 neck, and a big NON fan of the Warwick big neck. Does the Godlyke mimic either?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    To me, the neck has more of a Lakland feel to it, but in a 34" scale. If I had to compare this bass to any other, I'd say a Lakie, but with a tad more punch, but the Lakie, IMO, has a better B string, being that it's 35".

More info on the knobs and doohickies:
    vol, blend, bass (+/-15db@ 90Hz), treble (+/-17db@ 8Hz), notch filter (-20db@ 850Hz), and an adjustable midrange inside the cavity (+/-12db@ 350Hz)

5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    So what does that notch filter do? Is it some kind of pass filter?

6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Nice! I like the Lakland 5 neck quite a bit too.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    From what I gathered, turn it to the left and it boosts the lows and filter the highs. Turn it to the right, and it does the opposite. I was told that the earlier (70's - early 80's) high end Alembics used to have them

8. I seem to remember the Disciple 5 I was loaned had an airplane wing profile, kind of like the Tobias neck. Loved the Godlyke, great bass at any price.
    Peace

9. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    That's what I had thought. Checked the website, priced to sell too. Thanks for the review.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Tobias, huh? Interesting. I never thought of that. It's been awhile since I've played one, but I can see it feeling somewhat like a Growler.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    It's 19mm at the bridge.

12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    From the specs you posted, the notch filter is a simple midrange cut of up to 20dB centered at 850 Hz--no boost involved anywhere.

The old (and current) Alembic system is a semi-parametric lowpass filter which cuts everything above a certain frequency. As you turn the filter knob, the cutoff frequency gets lower, so you might be cutting everything above 20kHz down to cutting everything above 300 Hz (just guesses on the frequencies). There's a Q switch which boosts frequencies just below the cutoff point, so you have a sweepable boost, too.

Mike

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Mike, you're a god! Thanx! So it has this, and a midrange doohickie in the cavity. Sweet!

14. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    wow,
    $2250 bucks for a not well known made in Japan company that relies on Godlyke to distribute and represent them.:spit: that is just plain nuts. I wouldnt get one. just get a stambaugh for that price.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    gig report to follow tomorrow.... :D

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Wow! They appreciate the endorsement! Anytime you post one of your negative nuggets, that means that it's a good bass! :hyper:

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    So, have you ever played one?? :rolleyes: :rollno:

18. I think this is the guy who's played everything!

19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Hey Einstein, you've heard of Woodchuck, right? You've heard his stuff? Let's just say your main man Balzary would be impressed with him. I don't think I'd take his positive review so lightly.

20. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Oh man, here we go..........

And let's see, Stambaugh isn't known really anywhere outside of here. Sorta like Godlyke. Well, Godlyke always has an ad in Bass Player somewhere though.

And yeah, coming from Woodchuck who lets see.....is on posters for endorsing Warwick (BTW, you look kinda silly just sitting there, should have gone for a rocker pose or something 'Chuck!), GK, Fender and on the Sadowsky site as a user, did the Vans Warped tour how many times??? and an all around honest and super nice guy (do a search), sold a bunch or records (which some of your friends may have), been on MTV, worked with some of the best recording engineers in contempory rock today- in a professional studio enviroment, and on top of all this is a killer player who can groove his rodent a$$ off, I'd seriously consider one if he gives it a thumbs up.

The man is badass. Wouldn't play it and brag about it if it didn't pony up and deliver. Thats not his style.

Instead of knocking it, why don't you just take it with a grain of salt and think "Hmm, should check one out."

BTW, still waiting for pics/video of your playing & massive collection.