1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Godlyke Ground Hog/Iso Pump

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Jan 21, 2012.

1. So, maybe this is the cost-effective solution to ground noise and odd polarity pedals sharing sources like the OneSpot?

Just read about it on the No Treble site, so I'm assuming it's new.

Ground Hound Ground Isolator | Power Solutions for Guitar Pedals

Seems like a OneSpot with a few of these could work wonders for those of us who haven't put hundreds into power supplies with isolated outputs..

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, except for three potential hangups:
    1) Expensive and bulky--if you only need one or two then it's reasonable, but if you need more than that then you might as well just get a Voodoo Labs.
    2) Very limited current available, IIRC it's only 100 mA. So that's fine for most common analog pedals, but inadequate for many tube units or digital multi's.
    3) It runs on batteries! The whole point of using a wall-plug supply is to avoid using batteries.

Edit: the batteries thing is for the Iso-Pump, not the Ground Hound. My mistake!

3. Batteries? No, it's a plug-in to daisy chains and whatnot.. it's a downsized wall wart, from what I can tell.

But 100mA? This calls for an email to their customer reps..

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Doesn't run on batteries they just hook into the daisy chain.

I use two for my Moog pedals on my board. And I use the voltage converter on another board to boost up to 18v for my compressor.

I think they work wonderfully and saved a bunch of space and weight off my board.

Real low profile, it's awesome.

5. I don't know that I agree with you on this. The iso pump is good for 240mA @24V and 480mA @12V. It's not WAY capable, but it isn't worthless. They don't list a current capacity on the Ground Hog, which means it is just as capable as the power supply as it is hooked to, or it is so incapable that they don't want to mention it.

There are applications where the PP2 or similar is a clear advantage for cost and bulk, but I can think of a few applications where one or two of these combined with a one-spot or power-all is a perfect setup (most involve at least one high current digital pedal that needs isolated, but will run off the one-spot).

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Are you sure? I was told by Godlyke that they do, which is why I said that.

7. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I got two on my board right now, no batteries required.

8. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    That's right, they hook into the daisy chain, similar to the units made by the GigRig here in the UK.

Not long ago I emailed Godlyke with an inquiry and received the following reply from Kevin:

"Max current output of GH-1 is 640 mA. Max current output of IP-1 is 480 mA @ 12 VDC, 320 mA @ 18 VDC, and 240 mA @ 24 VDC. With all due respect, I don't know with certainty if the GH and IP will work off other power supplies - we designed them for use with the Power-All, and haven't done much experimenting with other units. The correct current supply for these units should fall within 1500-2000 mA max, so anything less or more than that will probably not work or could damage the units. We have tried the IP off the high-current outputs of the Voodoo
    Lab Pedal Power II, and it worked fine"

I believe the GigRig units allow around 480mA but Daniel at the GigRig could confirm this.

Regards, Chris

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I see. They must have changed the design since the time I asked them about it, which was maybe a year ago.

Just a point of clarification--I knew these things plugged into the daisy chain, no confusion there, but the ones I was referring to contained batteries ALSO, that were needed for operation. Not anymore?

EDIT: D'oh! I was mixing up the Ground Hound with the Iso-Pump! No wonder my info was wrong, I was talking about the wrong Godlyke adapter gadget.

10. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    So if I have a daisy chain...this would plug in to one of the adapters on the chain and then in to the pedal that creates the ground noise?

If so...I agree with Bongo. For one pedal...cool. But for two or three (plus the cost of the 1spot to start off with), might as well get a more expensive big daddy.

11. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    So would this quiet my M5?

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If your M5 is noisy on a daisy chain but quiet on a separate power supply, then (and only then) yes.

13. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    thanks. Just for reference...
    M5 is quiet when:
    powered w/ Line 6 pwr supply.
    powered w/ 1 spot.

M5 is noisy when: