1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Godlyke + "Power Pump" Powers 24V EHX Pedals?!?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Has anyone ever seen this before (click the photo for more info)?

[​IMG]

EDIT: It can easily convert 9VDC into 12VDC, 18VDC, or 24VDC. However, it can't help you with pedals that have positive ground PNP designs.

Basically, that means it powers pedals like the MXR Blowtorch just fine, but it'll have problems with the EHX Bass Micro Synthesizer.

I found it out the hard way, but at least nothing's fried :D

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Seems really interesting, although it seems to eat up a lot of mA. It needs 1700 mA@9V to put out 440 mA@18V and 330 mA@24V. Need to check out how much mA your pedals need and do the math with the rest on your pedalboard...

3. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If it works, it'll work fine on my board - most of my pedals hardly use any power. Even my BMS only draws about 100mA, tops.

4. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I highly doubt it. I've also got a 1spot on order and a pog, so I'll probably be interested in buying one as well.

5. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    See though, the electro harmonix site doesn't say how many mA the POG draws (or I can't find it), it only says that you need to use their 500 mA power supply...

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    wow nice, going to wait on some feedback before i order one to run my Bassdrive in w/ 18volts

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I took the plunge and bought one online!

I'll report back when I get it later this week.

8. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I definitely hope to be hearing about this as well. Been looking back-and-forth at the Visual Sound 1-Spot and the Godlyke PA-9 for the past few weeks as an alternative to buying up a ton of wall warts :confused:. the PA-9 seems like a nifty choice to power all my pedals. I am a bit skeptical about the charge pump though. Would it matter where the charge pump was placed in the power chain? Thereby affecting where you could place your large power-drawing pedals relative to the power chain? I'll definitely be waiting for the results of your tests :ninja:.

9. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Okay, time for the initial report!

I still have some testing to do, but here's what I've done so far. I plugged my 1 Spot directly into the Power Pump (no daisy chain involved here), and then plugged that into my MXR Blowtorch, an 18VDC pedal. It was powered it just fine!

I then disconnected the Power Pump and put on the daisy chain instead. I attached the Power Pump to one plug, and plugged that in to my Blowtorch again. I put four 9VDC pedals on the other plugs of the chain. All were powered just fine!

So far, I've had zero issues with this Power Pump for 18VDC pedals, and it works fine on the daisy chain with other pedals. I'm not hearing any noise either - at least, not yet. I haven't tested it with my Bass Micro Synthesizer yet because it needs a positive-tip plug. I'll have to get an adapter for that, and then I'll test it.

As for the current requirement... it's not 1700mA. That's just the maximum it's rated for, and it also happens to be the maximum current output of the Godlyke power supply. The reason why it outputs less at higher voltages is simply because that's what transformers do - current is decreased to increase voltage. My Blowtorch doesn't draw much, so my other pedals aren't affected.

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    very cool, looking forward to the EHX BMS report

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I ordered one of Visual Sound's reverse polarity connectors, so I should be getting that early next week. I don't anticipate any problems with powering my BMS.

Where you use it in the daisy chain is irrelevant - what matters is the current draw of your pedals. My Blowtorch draws a mere 9mA, and my other pedals don't draw much, either.

12. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    speaking of EHX... did they just discontinue a bunch of pedals? the website looks emptier than usual. :(

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :confused:

Their website has never had that many pedals on it before, actually! As of last month, it's bigger than ever because of the Soul Preacher and #1 Echo (both coming out this month).

Last year, before the new EHX XO and Nano pedals were announced, they had pretty much everything you see below the XO series line, and nothing else. They do have a funny way of organizing their site that makes it look a bit empty, but nothing's been discontinued recently that I'm aware of.

14. hey, didn't they discontinue the regular bassballs in favor of the nano bassballs?

15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Actually, you might be right - the regular one is missing.

I'm surprised they didn't do that with the Small Stone yet. The Nano Stone is the perfect replacement for it!

16. i'm eagerly waiting for that report about how the power pump works with the Bass Micro Synthesizer. If it does it'll definitely work with my Qtron (24V) and I'll need to get one as well.

I'm usually put off using my Qtron cause I gotta use the USA adaptor + a transformer (to 240V) which is double the size of the adaptor itself which makes it a hassle to carry. And the thing is the EHX adapters only come in a package with the pedal itself.

17. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Okay, it doesn't work with the Bass Micro Synthesizer. Three problems:

• In order for it to fit, you'd need to modify the jack to fit a 2.1mm plug.
    • You'd still have to re-wire the jack or use a reverse-polarity connector since it's center-positive, not center-negative.
    • The pedal seems to have a positive ground design using PNP transistors, so it won't work at all if you use a daisy chain with multiple pedals.
    What does that mean in layman's terms? Stick to the EHX wall wart or use the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2. The Power Pump isn't worth the money, and it won't work with your EHX 24V effects.

18. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Shame that. Also, yes EHX has discontinued the full-size Bassballs. I had the local store here give them a call and inquire. They have completely phased out production of it due to production of their nano-balls. Being a nut for discontinued things, I tracked down a full-size reissue for myself a few months back.

19. *snicker*

20. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021