Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

God's Healing Gift of Religion

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    God's Healing Gift of Religion

Here's a new demo from me. I'm not sure if I'm finished with it yet - I feel like it's missing something, but I don't know what that might be. Lyrics, perhaps? Not sure. Anyway, this whole thing stemmed from the very first keyboard sound that I created in the beginning, and it kind of took off from there. By saying "took off", I mean it got away from me. At this point, I think the whole thing is kind of a mess, but I'm kind of at a loss how to fix it. Perhaps I'll submit this one to the band to rework and re-record.

Computer problems abound. Protools lost all my audio, and I had to reconstruct everything. It was over 26 tracks, which my poor USB audio interface couldn't handle, so I had to do some creative bouncing just to keep it from crashing. It's also at the maximum of Protools headroom, so it's pretty quiet. I don't know how to fix that.

Meh. I was going to make some more excuses, but forget it. It's just a demo. Enjoy!

2. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    "It's also at the maximum of Protools headroom, so it's pretty quiet. I don't know how to fix that."

Get a program like Soundforge and get a mastering program like the Waves L3 ultramaximizer. Don't mix your tracks to peak at zero db when you mix in protools. Your kick drum should be peaking at around -10 db, and mix from there. You may peak at -5db or so...then import the wave into Sforge and boost the threshold to taste in the L3.

Not sure what kind of demo this is, if it is for soundtrack work, you will have to showcase MAD mixing skills to get any work..if it's for fun, then good stuff, it is very out there, but interesting. Needs a much better mix to really do it justice.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Did everybody get too distracted with the Spit Tune to make a comment here? Geez, I know the recording quality sucks, but at least you could tell so!

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Computer problems????...I though you owned a Mac???? ;)

Anyway, I like it, but I think it would feel more satisfying with some type of unifying thing going on occasionally. The choir at the end makes it very cool.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    is the Ultramaximizer free to download?

also , that abouth the kick being peak at-10 db... why? is this a stasndard that just souds good? or theres something behind it? im interested in learning more, i have a home studio and some bands fromr friends to record, some are well know in my area, i want to do the best posible

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Soundforege is a pay product, and a rather expensive one at that. I used Audacity, http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ instead for this reason.

The reason you want the kick peaking around -10 is so that you have some headroom left when you go to mastering. Your final mix is NOT a completed recording. Its then sent through a seperate process, usually at a seperate facility and certianly with different gear, to "master" it, i.e. make it sound consistently good across all manner of playback devices. Because you frequently use multiband compressors to boost and shape the final mix a mastering engineer needs a few DB of headroom to do their thing.