Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GODSPEED! YOUBLACKEMPEROR

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tecx, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    No I wasn't yelling... That is how you type there name... Ok, saw them last night - 2 Bass players!!! and a chellist... Boo Yaa... Man what a show... here are some details...

Bass Player #1:

Bass - '70's Fender Jazz, all natural, sans pickguard... verry sexy bass sound and looks.
    Amp - very old sun head, very big - musta weighed about 100 pounds... And SWR 4x10...

Bass Player #2:

Bass - pre EB MM Sting ray, with 2 mm pups!!! All black, VERY sexy...
    Amp - '70's Ampeg svt head and 9x10 cab.... SWEET!..

Chellist:

Eden Travaler head, and 4x10 cab...

Wow, the low end was breathtaking...

Alex

2. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    A saber eh?.. I was wondering what it was... It looked just like a sting ray, but it had a pup in the neck and bridge position... Sweeeeeeet sounding bass, it had the MM midrangyness and a nice mellow low range... I would like to find out for sure...

Alex

3. Hey, I thought it was Godspeed You! Black Emperor, after a Japanese documentary on motorcycle gangs entitled God Speed You: Black Emperor.

4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    They moved the exclamation point...

Alex

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
  6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Great band!

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Umm damn, you are right!.. sorry bout that...

Alex

ps. yes they are very good band Erlendur Már, but man they can be pretentious... They sure don't like talking to the people who payed a bunch to come and see them, aka there fans...

:meh:

8. Interesting that a guy with a King Crimson member's quote in his sig would say something like this.

I've always been of the opinion that when I buy a ticket for a concert, I buy it solely for the privilege of seeing them perform and hearing their music, once. Anything else--talking to the band, getting autographs, making bootlegs, taking photos, etc.--should be considered "gravy."

Of course, they are pretentious bastards (just listen to their music :D ), but they're under no obligation to talk to their fans. They're a busy touring band.

9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    What do you mean by that King Crimson remark?.. I have heard that they are great guys...
    :confused:

But don't get me wrong, they blew my mind... But when trying to tell them so they told me to screw off basicaly... I wasn't looking for pics, autographs (because that is silly and stupid...) I just wanted to thank them for comming to town and ****... but oh well...

Alex

10. Robert Fripp's blog/diary is full of his writings (rantings? ;) ) about how fans don't recognize that musicians are normal people too, and how would you like it if fifty people came to your workplace every day to ask for your autograph (with no compensation of course)?

11. I love them too. I have all of their records on vinyl.

12. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I understand that, and agree... I was not looking for an autograph, or a picture, I wasn't even bugging about there AMAZING GEAR!.. I wanted to simply say thanks, and great show... So I dunno :spit

Alex

;)

ps. they aint no robert fripp or trey gunn though ether!!! :D

13. I have met all the members of Crimson except Fripp a few times. They are nice guys, especially Pat. Pat talked to me and my friend once for about 30 minutes before a show. He was really down to earth and then after I got to talk to him, Adrian and Trey. Also this year when I went to Atlanta I was staying at the same inn as them, but I only really ran into Trey twice. He signed some cds for me. Both times he was in a hurry but he was nice about it. I would love to see GYBE!, great band. They did not come near me on their tour, but when I saw Crimson on March 1st they were playing the next week in Atlanta. Wish I could of stayed longer there, great music city.

14. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    great namd - seen' em a coupla times and they rocked.

could indeed have been a sabre

[​IMG]

:bassist: :)

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    A fellow bass player of mine managed to snag a used
    Sabre for ~200$. Bastard.

But, forgive me, but why have two bass players in a rock/metal band?

16. They're not really a rock or metal band--they're more of a drone/continuous-crescendo kind of deal. Having two bassists allows them to have an incredible, surging low end throb.