Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Godspell........WAT THE HELL?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by bassisbliss, Jan 12, 2003.

1. bassisbliss

bassisbliss Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    nottingham , england
    hey bassplayer pals , im really stuck about something - at my skool they are doing a production of 'godspell' they have given me the sheet music for number 9 - 'light of the world' seeing as i really suck atreading sheet music - can anyone send me the link for the tabs in the right scale or some kinda sofware for converting sheet music to tab , any help wud be great ,
    thanx alot - jay

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Tab requests belong in the Tabs forum.

Moved.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Since you've got a copy of the song in standard notation, I think you'd be much better off learning how to read it - otherwise, you'll be struggling with reading page after page of printed tab while everyone else in the band is working from neat and tidy notation ;)

I'd suggest:

1. Take a section of the song and write down every note that you have to play in order.

2. Double check to make sure that you have taken proper account of the key signature.

3. For each note, work out where you're going to play it on the neck. That will be affected by what comes before and after, as well as how much time you've to got to move position.

4. You could use that information to write your own tab (sorry - I don't know anywhere on the internet you can find what you're looking for) but personally, I'd suggest learning how to read that information directly from the score.

5. Practise, practise, practise and improve.

Nb. If you have problems with the rhythms, try beating them out on the table using your fingers - again, take what you learn and try to learn to read it directly off the score.

Wulf

4. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I played bass for a Godspell production too, it was a lot of fun.

"Light of the world" is a fun song, it's a good groove. It jams for a long time on this Eb to Bb progression:

G -----8------------
    D -----------5-6-7-8--
    A -6-6---6----------
    E ------------------
    (x3)
    then...

G ------------------
    D ------8----------
    A --------------5-6-7-8--
    E -6-6-----6--------

Hits on C and F

I don't have time to do the whole song...maybe I'll do it tomorrow evening if it would help ya. That 1st riff vamps forever, so as long as you know that, you can probably BS your way through the rest. ;)