1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gogol Bordello anyone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Apr 25, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    so after seeing the movie "Everything is Illuminated", i was really digging the soundtrack. I looked up some of the bands and one of them is Gogol Bordello. Its considered "Gypsy Punk". It has a kind of russian influence and is really cool. Check them out:

www.myspace.com/gogolbordello

my favorite song is "start wearing purple"

2. "Start Wearing Purple" gets pretty heavy play on "Indie" 103.1 out here. It's pretty awesome. I like to do rock star poses during the part where the singer goes "START WEARING PURPLE...FOR! ME! NOWWWWWWWWWWWW!" as the band comes back in.

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my favorite band. i got all of their stuff and have seen them about 5 times in less than a year.

they put on one of the greatest shows i have ever seen too.

The album Underworld Dog Strike is their most accessible IMO and its on iTunes. :)

5. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    I went to see them recently knowing nothing about them except my GF said they sounded a little like Les Negress Vertes crossed with the Clash.

The show was just fantastic! The energy this band puts out is amazing. Go and see them if you get a chance, even if you are old and cynical like me - this band will put a big smile on your face and make you glad to be alive :D

6. I'll take a heavy dose please... those guys are really good!

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    oh and i met their violinist about three weeks ago. i was at the bar ordering some beverages during one of the opening bands sets and he walked up right next to me at the bar.

no one else recognized him so i talked to him for a minute but didnt want to talk up too much of his time.

:D

8. I love their sound! So wonderfully funny!

9. paulodumb

paulodumb

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    I saw them open for Flogging Molly not too long ago. My main reaction was *** is this? It sounded like a rumbling bass tone and some scratchy noise from the guy with the washboard. It didn't sound good at all.
    And then Flogging Molly came out, and they, too, sounded like just a rumbly bass tone. I don't know if it was the venue or what, but man, talk about making a good thing kinda suck.

10. Pretty weird, but pretty good too.

11. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    the bass player is selling one of their insturments on craigs list new york, saw the ad this AM. However, I don't remember anything else.

12. TheDirtyMoocher

TheDirtyMoocher

Nov 11, 2004
    i'm going to revive this thread because they're playing in new york tomorrow night and i'm really excited to see them for the first time.

anybody else going?

13. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    i saw them this summer in swedish festival called hultsfred. it was great! i had never heard them or about them before but it was one the best conserts in the festival. they were so cool live. to bad i hadn'e heard theme before the festival because now, they recorded songs is not that good if you compare the with the ones in the show..

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I saw them open for Primus earlier this month. I thought they were awesome, but my girlfriend disagreed...

We should ALL start wearing purple! :D

15. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    heyy, i remember this thread! :D

16. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I to saw them open for Primus both at Berkeley and Sacramento. They were intense but that does not mean good. The bass was all bottom end, and the lead singer was over the top way over the top. He dressed like Peter Pan, and was just all over the place. Lots of energy but to many things going on at once. Sometimes there was like 7 or 8 people on stage dancing around beating on something, the singer dude put a bucket over the mike and beat it with a drum stick. To many things going on!!!