Goin' back to passive....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Aug 6, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I know it's probably been discussed before but last night at rehearsal, my active Tobias' battery went dead on me and I had no spares therefore had to run to a store to get a couple of batteries and losing 30 minutes rehearsal time. At that moment, I got disgusted and just decided that I'm going to go back to passive instruments. So now I'm looking at buying a good 5 string passive bass. Besides the Fender American V and the Fender Roscoe Beck V, what other makers of fine (or mid level) instruments offer passive 5 stringed basses?? I'm budgeting myself at $1000 tops!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why not mod the Tobias for a active/passive switch?
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I could do that too but I'm looking to get rid of it! It has very low output and the string spacing is tight. It's also one of those Gibson 'Toby' Tobias basses from MusicYo.

In addition to a passive bass I'm also looking for wider string spacing.
  4. If you still dig the Tobias in terms of feel and construction, I definitely suggest the MTD Heir or the MTD Kingston. Both really good looking, passive 5-ers with 19 mm (3/4") string spacing, and well within your budget.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well if your budget was a little bigger Id recommend the bass I have, Dingwall Afterburner 5 string. Most folks dont believe its passive, the pups are so hot.

Id pay money to have video of Yorg Shroeder's reaction to my bass being plugged into his cabs at the DFW GTG hehe.
  6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    What do you think of G&L??? Fantastic basses for the price. Passive very, very powerfull!
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Regarding this topic....

Something I noticed, in alot of the pup/preamp shootouts, that Luknfur was doing is:

If you're running passive pups thru a pre-amp, it tends to give you a loss in volume... I don't know first hand, as I've never owned an MTD, & never bothered to research it,,, BUT, if you think the output is low,,, taking out the preamp might well increase your output...
  8. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Very interesting!! DWBass, if you follow this good suggestion, could you post the results? I'm interested to know how this impacts your output.
  9. t'rants

Jan 18, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    MTD Kingston 5? Passive with wide string spacing.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm leaning more towards the Fenders due to the graphite reinforced necks but I dig the MTD's as well. Gonna keep my options open. Don't think I'm gonna do any mods on the current bass. I just wanna dump it.
  11. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I can dig not wanting to mod an MTD. It'd devalue it.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I recommend going for a used G&L or a new Tribute G&L. They really sound great in the passive mode and are still very versatile in terms of tone shaping. A bass I haven't played but really interests me is the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne. New, they seem to run at under $1,100 which would not be much over your limit. Finally, don't overlook Yamaha's BB505, it is only about $350-400, but it really is well made and sounds good.
  13. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Reverend Brad Houser, people say the output it so hot you'd think it was active, I'd have to agree, plus they sound amazing.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You mean the BB605? I was just checking that one out this morning at Musiciansfriend.com. They have a picture of the BB405 shown so I called them and told them they have the wrong pic up. Hopefully they'll change it. I'd hate to order a BB605 and receive a BB405 in the mail. I think the BB605 is active though. Or at least that NE-1 pre is powered by a battery.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    DWBass, sorry, I meant the BB405 Yamaha. :rolleyes: