Goin' Direct?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Apr 9, 2002.

1. For me there is some confusion about Goin' Direct. For instance, sometimes folks imply that they literally plug the other end of the instrument cable into "the board" and the board only (no amp) and that this gives them "the cleanest possible signal". Othertimes I hear Goin' Direct means plugging the instrument cable into a DI and an amp and maybe a third something or other. So my questions are: Which way is it? Both? What's the core purpose of the DI? Why is a DI needed?
  2. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    The core purose of a DI is to convert your insturment's ouput level to a level more suitable for mixing and recording.
  3. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Not only does the DI change the level of your signal, it also changes the impedence so as to not load your signal down (which can change the tone in an unpleasant way). Also, some people actually plug their bass straight into whatever their recording on to (tape machine, computer, etc.) and bypass the board. I'm an amp and microphone man myself.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Additionally you can get a symmetric signal, which effectively avoids noise.