Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goin fretless! Now what bass to buy....?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlapper, Mar 6, 2002.

1. I was playin on my friend's fretless last night and it just did me in.... I have to get one! Now what bass to buy... I heard that the Fender Jazz MIM was a good fretless bass to start with. Any suggestions?

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Question #1) How many strings?

Question #2) What is your budget?

...welcome to the club of bald fingerboards and no speed bumps or training wheels! ;)

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to TalkBass, FunkSlapper.

I own a MIM Jazz and love it. It's a great bass, to begin with, and there are lots of aftermarket upgrades you can tinker with, if you care to.

While I have no experience with them, everyone and their brother seems to love the MTD Kingston/Heirs.

Both of these options are under $500. Good luck!

4. I play 4's right now but i am seriously thinking of switching to 5, so if the recommend bass is a 5er, that's okay:D

5. er... oh yeah! my budget is about $800

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OK, got some stuff to work with now: MTD Kingston 5 Fretless (any color you want, as long as it's black ;) ). Easily within your budget, and a great bass with a nice B string. I even know where you might find a couple...;) (look down....a little lower....there it is in my sig file! :D)

7. For $800 Carvin might be worth a look too.