Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

goin in studio tommorow

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VIHBASS, Mar 28, 2002.

1. our band is going in studio tommorow,to record our second cd,i am very very nervous any suggestions
    thanx
    frank

2. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Whiskey, Drugs and Whores always worked for Motley Crue...:rolleyes:

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Prepare your gear properly. Eat a good breakfast. Try to relax. You have a headstart, since you've done it before.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Make sure you have all your gear
    extra strings
    extra batteries
    etc

and most importantly, make sure you know your lines inside and out. Time is money and the less time you take laying down your lines, the less money it's going to cost you and your band. And dont let the soundman push you around, Its your money, he's working for you, you're not working for him.

5. thank you for the support,
    our first step is done for our new cd we have all the drum tracks down some of my bass tracks are ok some we will take back to our studio and re-do,all in all it was a good weekend ,one thing is for sure i need to spend less time on my computer and more time practicing my bass
    frank

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Cool :)

My band went to a studio over a weekend last summer.

We planned on recording and mixing three songs. We practiced them to death for 3-4 weeks before we headed into the studio. (see the songs in my sig.).

I nailed the first song in one take, the second song took 1 1/2 takes and the third song took 1 3/4 takes ;)

All in all we recorded and mixed three songs in 17 hours.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey VIHBASS, did you play at Magoo's a few weeks ago?

8. yes i did play at Magoos,We will be back at magoos fri april 19 come on out and introduce yourself,i will be glad to meet you,liquid midnight

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool, thanks for the invite. Unfortnatley, I'm only 19, which means, legally by law, I'm allowed to perform in bar rooms, but I'm not allowed to just hang around.

I've played at Magoo's twice myself. Nice place I must say, espcially for a biker bar. I think we're booked there again like May 14th or 15th or something like that. But did you notice that the acoustics suck *** in that place. If you turn your amp past 2, the sound just bounces everywhere.

If you start gigging in the central PA area, you should really check out a bar in Altoona called Peter C's. I use to play there all the time.

10. Where is Magoos? I am looking to check out other local bands and havent heard of this place. I am trying to find as many places for local shows as I can because he band I am in isstarting to play out now as well.

11. Magoos is in cresson pa.
    you are absolutely right about the acoustics there liquid midnight,we had a sound man that we hired from altoona to come out and do our sound that was the best thing we did because he really did a good job with that room,it took awhile before i got adjusted to it,our guitar player played at peter c's,hey have you ever heard us on the backyard rocker,Jim Price is a big fan and has been a great help to us,he plays our stuff on Q94 FM out of altoona keep an eye on our web site for our schedule we are planning some other gigs out there
    frank

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't listen to the Backyard Rocker that much. I'm not that interested in that kind of thing. Our lead singer had a song on there for a while. (He wrote a song called "Lady Liberty" for the September 11th crisis that got some airplay for a while) Our former lead guitarist (He's former because he has moved out of the area) had another band. (DD and the Swinghounds) who I believe is guesting on the BYR in a few weeks.

Have you ever had the chance to see/play with Felix and the Hurricanes. If not, you should really check them out.

Harley, if you want to know some popular bars in my music scene (Altoona/Cresson) you shoud really check out:

Peter C's
    4d's
    Pellegrene's
    Beer Bellies (I played there in February and had a blast)
    Wild Cherry Inn
    Aldo's

13. I have been wanting to come up to altoona to check out Nevermoure. I hear they play there a fair bit. I also almost made the trek to check out halestorm a few times but never actually did. I will make it up soon though.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes Harley, you should definatley check out Nevermoure. Their drummer, Shawn, has sat in with us on a couple songs before. Probaly the most kick *** drummer I've ever had the chance to play with. (And I've played with A LOT of drummers)

Nevermoure has their own acoustic set at Peter C's, every Tuesday night. If you want to know what bands are playing, you can always check out www.petercs.com. (And I believe Halestorm is there sometime this month also ;) )

I'd tell you to come check out my band, but our next gig is at a club, (one of my favorite places to play) so it's members only. ;)

Or if you want to check out where any other bands are playing in the Altoona area, you could check out www.rockpage.net

(God, I feel like an A&R guy for every band in my area, except mine :rolleyes: :p ;) )

15. hey liquid midnight ,good info you got here,we are trying to get in touch with Felix to get something going with them,also we will get in touch with those clubs you posted thank you,hopefully we can start playing out there more often,are schedule is very busy we are just starting to get further away from are area,the cd is sounding great so far,most of my bass tracks were ok i have to do a few of them over the production has gone up a notch,this should be a good one.
    frank

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    No prob VIH. A lot of clubs around here aren't booking bands like they use to though. Some agency (forget what they are called) is charging certain places a monthly amount of money to have cover bands. (They really like making it hard for the struggling, working, weekend band, don't they? :rolleyes: )

For a while I was playing almost every other weekend. (It could have been every weekend, but other band members' scehdules prevented that) and for some reason, it just seems harder to get booked now, and I think that agency has something to do with it.

Forgot to add: I'll be headed into the studio this coming Monday night myself to record for this project I'm involved with. I'm quite excited since I haven't been in the studio since I was 15.