Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goin shoppin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foolfighter24, Sep 15, 2001.

1. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Hey guys

I'm getting a chance to go down to my local bass store this afternoon. I have been looking for a new bass, as my Squire is really not the sound I want. Too much midrange, with no real presence down low or up high. So, my search for a new bass begins. I want pretty much the opposite of what I have now, as far as sound goes. The feel of the bass is ok(I like the Jazz type neck), I am sure they get better as the prices go up, at least, most of the time.

I'm looking for something that is under $600(I'm definetely checking out the used basses there!), preferably a passive bass, 4 string, Rich/thick sounding low end with tight highs, and most likely not a Fender, as that's kind of what I have now.

So I am looking for some quick oppinions on some basses I should check out. Manufacturer name is fine, but if there is a more specific line that would also be nice to know. Thanks for your help in my preminary new bass search!

:cool:

EDIT: I have a Squire Standard P Bass Special, P/J set up.

2. That's the same bass I have, it is not too bad for being only $200. I was looking to upgrade also, because the fretbuzz is REALLY starting to bother me.

What color is yours? Mines british racing green :D.

3. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Yeah, bang for the buck on my bass is pretty darn good, but it was first bass, so I had no idea what kind of sound I wanted, and its sound doesn't fit mine very well. I knew what color I wanted....Candy Apple red....which they didn't have, leaving me with black. Seems like all of my friends who play have black basses.:rolleyes:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In that price range, I would look at the Ibanez BTB400, and the MTD Kingston.