1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Goin shoppin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foolfighter24, Sep 15, 2001.

1. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Hey guys

I'm getting a chance to go down to my local bass store this afternoon. I have been looking for a new bass, as my Squire is really not the sound I want. Too much midrange, with no real presence down low or up high. So, my search for a new bass begins. I want pretty much the opposite of what I have now, as far as sound goes. The feel of the bass is ok(I like the Jazz type neck), I am sure they get better as the prices go up, at least, most of the time.

I'm looking for something that is under $600(I'm definetely checking out the used basses there!), preferably a passive bass, 4 string, Rich/thick sounding low end with tight highs, and most likely not a Fender, as that's kind of what I have now.

So I am looking for some quick oppinions on some basses I should check out. Manufacturer name is fine, but if there is a more specific line that would also be nice to know. Thanks for your help in my preminary new bass search!

:cool:

EDIT: I have a Squire Standard P Bass Special, P/J set up.

2. That's the same bass I have, it is not too bad for being only $200. I was looking to upgrade also, because the fretbuzz is REALLY starting to bother me.

What color is yours? Mines british racing green :D.

3. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Yeah, bang for the buck on my bass is pretty darn good, but it was first bass, so I had no idea what kind of sound I wanted, and its sound doesn't fit mine very well. I knew what color I wanted....Candy Apple red....which they didn't have, leaving me with black. Seems like all of my friends who play have black basses.:rolleyes:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

In that price range, I would look at the Ibanez BTB400, and the MTD Kingston.