1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Goin' to Birdsong

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rfclef, Jul 26, 2007.

1. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I have been in Texas the last few weeks visiting the parents (brought along my Epi viola and my ZZ Ryder and have done some playing at my dad's church)... Me n the kids are leaving for Oregon on Monday, and I think though it is not REALLY on the way, me n the kids are gonna swing down by Wimberly and take a look at some Birdsong basses :hyper: :cool: :hyper: This is gonna be so cool...

2. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    I, for one, look forward to hearing your impressions. I'm very curious about Birdsong basses. Give us a full report!

Michael

3. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    You're right - it's going to be very cool. :) It's a neat little shop. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather is nice for you. Wimberly is a pretty town.

4. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Looking forward to your report, Bobby! Enjoy!

5. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    +1

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Flash flood warnings are up until noon and FF watch is in effect all day and probably will be extended through tomorrow. 26+ years in Austin and I have never seen anything remotely like the amount of rain we have gotten since late May.

Sorry for the OT, but jeez, I'm tired of this!

7. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    No worries - Scott at Birdsong introduced me to the term "Turd Floater" in reference to a heavy storms that flood the river and back up the septic systems. I feel fortunate to live a suburban life free of such things.

We left Wimberly at the end of April just in time to avoid just such a storm - sounds to me like it's been raining ever since.

To the OP - not only do you owe us a report, you need to tell us about the quilted maple bass body that Scott has in finishing right now, if you see it. I can only imagine the degree to which the pictures at their site fail to do it justice.

8. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I'll see what I can do...

I have never seen one in person, but I go to their site to drool every couple days... I have been happy on my 4 strings, but looking at that 5'er they have there...

9. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    One thing, though. He claims that his "double string through" method results in more tension in the strings, and I don't buy it.

10. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Hopefully, the more they get out there, the more people who are potentially interested will get a chance to try one before ordering.

11. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    It's not about more tension in the nut-to-bridge tension. It's overall tension. I'll be honest - I don't get it and can't explain it. What I can say is that, having tried the bass, it feels less floppy than many 34" scale 5-strings I've tried.

For those who are skeptical - bring the physics of it to Scott and ask him to explain it. I'm not able to defend it based on anything other than my personal reaction to playing the bass.

And if that's too subjective, then think of it this way - "double string through" lets you use 34" scale strings on a 31" scale bass, which opens up the possibilities for what you string your bass with. That's pretty cool all by itself.

12. JeffSki

JeffSki

Apr 18, 2007
    Definately give us a report!
    I'd love to be able to visit the Birdsong shop. I'm also currently waiting on a Sadhana they're building for me :hyper:

Snap some pics if you can :D

13. I may be a liitle bias...but I think you will love a Birdsong...only one problem...they are a addiction, you get one and you want another or two or three or.......see what I mean birdtribe2-full. not showing Chopper B010 and sadhana #1.......

14. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Hmmm... you think they will let me, or will I have to sneak a camera in??:ninja:

;)

15. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I took a ton of pictures (and even a video of Scott putting the first coat of finish on Mesquito #3) - but be sure to ask what is and isn't off limits. There were a couple of things that I suspect would constitute "proprietary information."

16. Scott and Jamie are great people and you will love them ,their basses and shop!!!!!!!!:)

17. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon

Oh, yeah... I would not REALLY take any pics they were not OK with... I was just being dopey... Scott has been really cool over email, and I am eager to meet 'em... I have some dopey ideas for a future bass, and am eager to have em shot down... lol:scowl: :rollno:

18. Please take a pic of Cortobass #105 for me! She's cherry. Can't miss her. :)