Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goin' to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jerry J, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Any cool music stores in New Orleans that I should check out while I'm there? Also, any cool pawn shops?

Thanks! :hyper:

2. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    But it was always all the boobs that confused me so i never looked! :p

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I've had plenty of great times in New Orleans but going to a music store or pawn shop never crossed my mind.

But you can no doubt locate something along those lines on the net. Go to the Times Picayune site (New Orleans newspaper), seems they've got links to everthing and they put out the monthly entertainment guide that sadly I can't even remember the name of. I don't think they've got anything along the lines of a Gruhn, but I gaurantee they got some guitar holes there with character and characters (keep one hand on your wallet - and safety off).

4. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    She's at the Jazz Parlor on Bourbon St. She's a "built for comfort" woman who can really belt out the blues. She's got a crack 4-pc. band that backs her up. She does a killer version of "I Will Survive".

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There's not a whole lot down there that will be any interest of a bass player, unfortunately. The only "interesting" shop would be New Orleans Music exchange, on the corner of Louisiana and Magazine. Other than that, C&M music is worth checking out, and that's about it, unless you want to go see a really crappy GC.

Don't hang out in the French Quarter the whole time you're there, either. Go to the Garden district, say hello to Anne Rice and Trent Reznor while you are there, check out the zoo, definitly go to one of the swamps, hang out in Audubon Park, and eat at Commander's Palace (bring lots of money for this). Don't drink any hurricanes, don't wear beads, and leave your fanny pack at home.

And if anybody says to you, "I bet you I know where you got your shoes!", just say, "These aren't my shoes!"

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...you've been in N'awlins before haven'cha? ;)

...hey hey hey hey
    hey pocky-way...

I hear the Big Chief has plenty of firewater...

:smug:

Good advice here ('specially the shooz stuff), however, there are some pretty decent bands playing in the Quarter, might be worth a walk up & down Bourbon St., just don't go IN the clubs, as there is a "minimum", which is usually one very overpriced watered down drink. S'ok tho, you can hear just fine from the sidewalk! Oh, and avoid the carryout Chinese places...trust me! :eek: If you must eat in the Quarter, go toward the Canal end of Bourbon and eat at Mike Anderson's. It's small and kinda unknown, but very good and no where near as stupidly expensive as Commander's Palace (food is just as good, if not better IMO).

If you do go to the Quarter, for a chuckle, check out the 544 Club, corner of Bourbon & Toulouse, I used to be on that stage 5 nights a week, 6 hours a night at one time...

No good stores that I know of in the city, sadly. You'd think that a city known for music would have some cool shops, but that just isn't the case. :(

b-tri missed one "must-see", the Aquarium of the Americas, well worth the trip! I'll agree with the zoo and Audubon Park (MONKEY HILL!!!....the locals will know what I'm talkin' 'bout)

...I went on down to the Audubon Zoo
    An' dey all axed f'you
    Dey all axed f'you
    Yeah, dey ev'n inquired abou'cha!

(...sorry, haven't eaten boiled crawfish while drinkin' Dixie beer and listenin' to the Meters in WAY too long...)

As for swamps, try one a bit off the beaten path: Honey Island Swamp in Slidell, got it's own monster & everything! :ninja: (I grew up fishing & hunting there, no monster, but it's a cool story to tell your friends back home!)

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've been to N'awlins about ten times as I have friends who live down the road a bit in Gulfport.

Yeah, Commander's has good food, but like every place in the French Q, they are all overpriced.

Ditto on the clubs...man, they have some awesome groups playin down there...but Gard's right, one does not need to go in to enjoy...but if you do, bring a couple of hundred bucks if you want to hang inside for any length of time as a group. :eek:

If you hang out there for an extended stay, you can find all kinds of great places to eat that are out of the way...and the prices are better...so's the food.

I did a painting of the lion at the Audubon zoo. Very cool place...got my girlfriend's friend to damn near jump out of her skin walkin past the swamp...I snuck up behind her, grabbed her ankles and yelled, "GATOR!"

Check out the Aquarium of the Americas too. My friend in Gulfport works for the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources...so going with him was like a private guided tour. Great place. The Farmer's Market area is a nice stroll...as well as the courtyard by the big church...lot's of outdoor sidewalk musicians and artwork. I almost bought an original painting that was the art for one of the posters for the Montreux Jazz Festival. Really cool shops around there.

About what year(s) did you play down there Gard? I may have seen you! I've been down there many times from about 1996-99. I can't remember the place's names...but there was one small club that had a small stage that had great bands and another right on a corner, where the stage was up kind of high and right next to the door, to your left as you walked in. Other places as well...but my memory's kind of foggy on particulars. :)

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Man, Gard, you are making me homesick.... :(

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sonny Dog, I was there 99-00, if you saw an overweight white boy poundin' out Motown on a neck-thru 6er, lookin' TOTALLY outta place, that was me (I was holdin' it down though! :cool: ). I can follow the fuzzy thing, that's normal in the Quarter...hell, that's normal in N'awlins! :D Thanks for catching the Farmer's Market, great place to hang early on a Sunday morning. Oh, and the "big church" and "square" are St. Louis Cathedral and Jackson Square, always nice...as is the Cabildo (right next to the St. Louis Cathedral). Lotsa history in that city! I like the ankle-grab/"GATOR!!!" trick, gotta try that one sometime...:bag:

b-tri, I know the feelin' brother. I'm gonna get a fix later this month, my sister is gettin' married in Slidell the 24th, gonna be "home" for a few days! That usually cures my "homesickness" for a good 6-8 months - I DO NOT miss living there...too nasty/dirty for me now...'sides man, you live in my favorite city in the entire world! Lucky bastid! :spit:

;)

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, the history...that city, more than just about any other, seems to take one back in time.

Thanks for clearing up the "church/square" thing...I could not remember the names.

I thought about moving there back in '99...as I am also a professional artist. Thought it would be the perfect place for an artist/musician. But you are right...it is dirty. Also, the crime rate is top notch.

:bag:

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually, I did go to a music store witha buddy of mine that was working on his doctorate at Tulane (can chew up some keyboard too). Standard brand main stream can see anywhere music store.

Reading through this post takes me back. Man, what fun. I was working on a graduate degree in Hattiesburg, MS and spent more time in New Orleans and on the coast than on campus.

Next to Key West, New Orleans is my favorite place, at least on this continent. So soak it up bud and No Sleep Till Brooklyn cause you may never see it again. And carry one of those cheap little plastic ponchos with you cause rain can break out anytime this time of year. You can even buy them there that say Bourbon street on them (couple bucks). We picked up some at the Jazz Festival when we went to see Buffet. Rained a damn foot in 5 minutes. Seems last year they had like 24 inches of rain one day. And all those pump stations you see around there are what's keeping New Orleans from being under water, since it's like 17 feet below sea level. Great Place. Great Place.

12. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    have fun on da baayo .....aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyy

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, not a place I'd want to live. Been there and done that but if it were to happen again, I'd go to the northshore of Pontchartrain, take the causeway or over to SE MS coast, Waveland/Bay St. Louis maybe and run the backroad in through some bayou. Maybe even out WestWeGo way to SW of town toward some real bayou country.

Man, usually only get these vibes around Mardi Gras.

===========
    Gator. Taste just like chicken.

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks y'all.

I've been maybe a half dozen times and know the shoes trick. My Sweetheart is going for conferences in the Quarter so the room is paid and I'm just tagging along. I had a bunch of air miles so $10 for a R/T ticket.

She been down, in the Quarter 5 times in the last 5 months. So she knows all the bouncers and cocktail waitresses. So the hangout spots are hooked up. They are actually looking forward to meeting me.

I just have the days to myself so I wanted to check out something other than the voodoo shops. I'll hit whatever music stores that seem to be easy to get to by bus or trolly.

thanks again!

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I actually think gator is a bit lighter tasting than chicken myself...but it's still pretty good!

;)

The Northshore, particularly around the north end of the Causeway is just New Orleans North now, not the same mellow vibe until you get north of Covington/Abita Springs, say up around Folsom. Mandeville is just ruined, IMO, no different than being in Metarie :spit:, it used to be SO nice there. I agree about the Miss. Gulf coast area, very nice there now, particularly Waveland/Bay St. Louis, although the trip into the city is a bit protracted for a daily commute. Slidell well...eh...it's still Slidell, can't say I miss it all that much, although it's still "home" for me.

And you can keep the whole Mardi Gras experience....ugh...I learned to hate Mardi Gras when I lived there, bunch of amatuer drunken tourists. I always went on vacation out of town during the week of Fat Tuesday. The worst was the one year I was still gigging in the Quarter for that week...geeze, that was just pointless. :rolleyes: I quit the gig as much to avoid a repeat experience as anything else. (Better money closer to home and working fewer hours/nights didn't hurt!!!)

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Bummer. Northshore used to be a little heavy on the Yuppie side in some parts but still reasonably quaint. Slidell, well, there's work there. Never will forget the first time I saw that Castle looking house off the interstate there. So bizarre. The only reason I'd recommend anybody going to Slidell would be to see that joint. I wonder if there's a moat around it? Never drove up to it. The trip from MS would be a bit much routinely but it's a trade off in my book. I just like the area and apparently it hasn't changed much. Waveland - not a wave for miles - Hmm? You could walk out from the beach for a mile and still only be up to your knees. Flounders and stingrays by the hundreds - and some pretty decent Red fish on occasion.

Yeh, everybody feels that way about local stuff that draws crowds (except the chamber of commerce of course). But it's only once a year. Try Key West: Biker week, spring break, and on and on and on.

Gator tail actually tasted like bacon to me - and probably was (St. P Beach I think)

=========
    ay! Screwed up. But I ain't jacking with it. You'll figure it out.

=========
    Well, I did jack with it. But if you're like me, you'd have just cut to the chase.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I gotta ask:

What's that about the shoes?

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    luknfur -

The castle you're referring to was actually across the lake from Slidell, in Irish Bayou on Hwy 11. It's still there, last time I drove by.

Waveland is a funny name, more like a bathtub, but not as deep...

:D

...used to go flounder gigging out there when I was growing up, it was almost too easy - if you remembered to drag your feet so you wouldn't step ON the stingrays! :eek:

;)

The redfish & specks (Spotted Sea Trout for the non-Gulf Coasters here) would always run strong along that area in the fall, right after the first good cold snap. Some days you would catch two school sized reds or specks at a time on a shad rig! (don't ask if you don't know! ;) ).

Brendan -

The shoe thing is a scam the street kids try to run on unsuspecting tourists:

"Hey, I bet I know what steet you got them shoes on!"

:rolleyes:

b-tri's answer is best, shuts 'em right up.

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The shoe scam is the bet they can tell you where you got your shoes. Then they say you got one on your right foot and one on your left foot. Now give me $20. :rolleyes:

I never got tired of Mardi Gras, even though I lived 3 blocks from the parade routes in the Garden District. I was sequestered to my house for 3 weeks of the year for that, and I still loved it. I think the locals who learn to hate it spend too much time in the Quarter, or are just people who hate fun (they probably kick puppies, too).

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

...hey, I never kicked puppies...just folks that thought Mardi Gras was actually fun!

;)

Never hung out in the Quarter that much either, just when I gigged there. I was always too busy fishin' or bassin' to really care much about parades.

You happened to live in the one part of the city I really like still, the Garden District is beautiful. Damn shame it'll eventually go under with the rest of the city in the next hurricane that actually hits the city (most of New Orleans is 3 feet below sea level, and the city is surrounded by water, river and swamps to the south, Lake Pontchatrain to the north, nowhere to run when the levees go...)